chinese placement exam

<p>Mmm so this isn't exactly an AP exam but I'll just post here as placement exams serve the same purpose as AP exams.</p>

<p>What would be the best way to study for this over the summer? I can speak fluently and understand movies and stuff; my reading and writing ability is just kind of bad. Should I just get an AP review book and work through that? I don't have any experience with language APs so I don't know how well that would work. If so what would be good?</p>

<p>I'd recommend you get an AP review book (I think Barron's has one for AP Chinese) and do the AP FRQs from past years. I think CB also put the 2007 MC on AP Central with answers. Otherwise, just learn as many new characters as you can, and read some children's stories or short news articles and learn from there, too (since learning characters by themselves can be quite boring).</p>

<p>I took the AP Chinese Language and Culture exam this year, honestly, i did bad on the writing part (spelling on a computer, pinyin that require you to spell out the exact word, which will not show up related words like normal speller.) and the listening part was fast and design to test your listening skill. </p>

<p>I would recommend you to buy a study guide, because you can learn more about the culture part (basic cultures like holidays, legends/myths, etc). If you can understand Chinese from movies, then reading+listening part should be a piece of cake. If you speak mandarin instead of Cantonese, you are set to take the test. With a bit of practice for writing (pinyin) ahead of time, this test should not be difficult at all, the AP Chinese Exam is design for those who never encounter Chinese before, and only contain a year of learning (is like a test for 5th grader in China).</p>

<p>Good Luck to you and remember to practice!</p>

<p>I learned a lot of my chinese characters by reading the subtitles in chinese soap operas and dramas, believe it or not lol.</p>

<p>You can watch chinese movies with subtitles on and match what the characters are saying to the characters, it really helps when done repeatedly with different movies/same movies.</p>

<p>I'm the exact opposite of you! My speaking sucks, but I own on reading comprehension and writing. In my opinion, if you can speak that well already, the exam really won't be that hard for you. For one, you get to type everything, so you don't have to really memorize ci yu or anything. (:</p>

<p>What textbook did you guys use to study for the exam during the year? Right now I'm using Integrated Chinese for Level 4, and it's approximately the same difficulty level, but it doesn't cover all of the characters. And are you not allowed to write the characters yourself on the test, do you have to enter the pinyin? I'm really bad with pinyin...</p>

<p>You can use bopomofo or pinyin, but you can't handwrite the answers. The entire test is administered on a CD on a computer.</p>