Chiropractic

<p>Does anyone have any experience with chiropractic care? We're taking my little guy because he's had some back discomfort due to a heavy backpack. The chiropractor assessed a couple of "hot spots" and it just made me wonder what to expect or look out for. Anyone?</p>

<p>I took my D to one on our quest to control her migraines. She felt good afterward - similar to getting a massage but it didn't help the migraines. I made sure she went to one who doesn't do spinal cord adjustment/manipulation because I had read about the risks. </p>

<p>She didn't find relief with acupuncture either, but I had great results with it for back pain. It was like a miracle cure for me.</p>

<p>I have had chiropratic care in the past, and currently it's working miracles for my standard poodle (not the same dr). Get referals from people you trust, and ask questions. Chiropractic treatments were a HUGE help to me after a car accident, it can really be amazing.</p>

<p>I myself am a skeptic. While I think the adjustments can be helpful for some people, I think that as a whole there is a lot of misdiagnosis that goes on. In my experience, chiropractors will attempt to treat pain without knowing the true cause of the pain -- and sometimes there are other treatments that are more appropriate.</p>

<p>When the only tool you have is a hammer, you view every problem as a nail.</p>

<p>I had a chiropractor in my old town who had the hands of a God, he helped me so much when I had migraine and neck issues.</p>

<p>However, I also tried one in my new town and he managed to pinch a nerve when adjusting my neck and it took me several years to lose the after effects of that</p>

<p>I have only gone to one chiropractor but I know from different people that there are different types of chiropractic treatments. Mine mainly does gentle chiropractic and myofacial release. I have a masseuse in the same office and she said the other chiropractor in the same office does an entirely different sort of work. I have had great relief from hip, shoulder and lower back pain. She also helped my tennis elbow. My problems have mainly been muscular. She also helped my D with foot pain.</p>

<p>I would be more inclined to go to a Physical Therapist that does manipulation work (as opposed to just putting you through a bunch of exercises).</p>

<p>Just as aside, I had a vet/chiropractor work on my horse and saw great results. The horse seemed to really enjoy it and it helped with lameness issues, but the best part was watching this petite woman do the adjustments on the 16.3 horse. </p>

<p>There does seem to be a big difference in the way chiropractors work. The one my D went to used very non-invasive techniques - more like massage with some thumping thrown in here and there.</p>

<p>I have no problem with someone who has a backache and goes to a chiropractor and finds relief. I say great, more power to them. But I draw the line at chiropractic care when the chiropractors attempt to treat things like diabetes, cancer, deafness, and all manner of other ailments by manipulating the spine. I call quackery on that.</p>

<p>No experience with chiropractors, but I have also been concerned about the heavy loads young kids are expected to carry around. </p>

<p>I did get great relief once from a massage therapist who did trigger point therapy. She cured an issue (greatly reduced range of motion) in my hip that I thought was in the joint, rather than muscular. The results were instant and dramatic. Unfortunately, she lives in another state where I was visiting, or I would go to her regularly.</p>

<p>During S1's senior yr. of h.s. he went to a Chiropractor for several months. He had a shoulder problem (he's a weight lifter). He raved about how good he felt after every treatment and eventually his problem got straightened out.</p>