Choose your own cage

<p>Came across and found it more interesting for its ideas than anything.</p>

<p>Are we losing out when we become more and more specialized, when we try to decide so far into our futures so far back in our lives?</p>

<p>What do you think?</p>

<p>I believe that is the whole point of a LIBERAL ARTS education--so that you may be EDUCATED before being TRAINED.</p>

<p>Yea, true. Brave New World.</p>

<p>For some people, sure. But there are people who know in their teens what they want, professionally, from the rest of their lives (don't tell me there aren't, I know plenty of people). They are still in the minority, but they exist. And for them, because they're so focused, they want to get ahead as soon as possible. And I don't think that that's a bad thing.</p>

<p>with youth comes unbridled hubris. Problem is these teens who "know" so much are often dead wrong. I've seen it too many times and I'm only a college senior. Heck I "knew" what I wanted to do when I was 15.</p>

<p>Nothing is more dangerous than absolute certainty.</p>

<p>Moreover the kids who "know" they want business or some other training before education become so focused and narrow minded as to lack any steeping in knowledge of history, civics, and other elements of knowledge vital to being an active citizen of a republic.</p>

<p>True, it's sometimes the case that they were mistaken about what they want. But there are people who decide at 16 (my parents are two of them) and stick with it. Besides, saying you want to be a doctor when you're 16 is not narrowing the field down to the extent where you can't move around a bit later. You can ALWAYS get more specific.</p>

<p>The worst is when you have to apply directly to the College of [Whatever] at whatever colleges you're applying to. I know cross-school transfers are possible and probably happen frequently, but I think it's just ridiculous.</p>

<p>Yep. Schools that have strong core requirements are often the best schools long term for you as a person and your soul.</p>

<p>Columbia for example has a Classics curriculum in its core requirements. I think that is fabulous. Fordham has a broad and rigorous core requirement.</p>

<p>There is a book out on colleges, called Picking the Right College and part of the methodology was looking for schools with a strong core requirement and less of this specialization, or worse, a do it yourself major.</p>

<p>Or as I say, "if you want to learn welding, go to your community college."</p>