City phobia

<p>I like the idea that there's a lot to do in Minnesota but I'm really scared about how big it is; I've gotten lost even on small campuses and I'm not sure I really have it in me to adapt to such a large environment when to this day I can't even read a map. Unfortunately whenever I go with my friends to a big place or Chicago, they're the ones that know where to go. Can a person like me make the adjustment? It would be ridiculous for me to go to more-expensive schools with the same academics just because they seem to have more manageable campuses but... I'm really freaking out about entering such a big city campus.</p>

<p>These concerns probably seem childish but I really am looking for serious advice. How did those who went here adapt?</p>

<p>I'm in high school in Minnesota and I took a full course load at the UoM last semester. I am also horrible at directions. First off, the campus is fairly centralized around one general area. Secondly, just by being there you will learn so quickly how to find everything and where everything is. Campus maps are also really easy to read. The longer you live somewhere, the more you know where everything is. And besides, when you start your freshman year, it will be new for everyone. You and your new friends can (and should) explore where everything is. Then you will gain a sense of direction. I know this is hard to understand, but my point is that I suck at directions but I can easily get around at the U (even after a few weeks).</p>

<p>Don't worry!</p>