Class of 30 Undergrad/Class of 28 Grad: All Things Related to Music School Applications (prescreens/tours/interviews/auditions/supplements/etc)

It really depends on the school. For example, my son auditioned at Michigan State and they flat out said that most people would find out in March and he found out a few days after that he got in. I do feel like some schools will probably be strict about the “by April 1st” deadline though.

I think it depends on what studio (instrument) and audition date, too. We haven’t heard from UMich yet, but a friend who plays another instrument has.

Yes this too! I know of others that auditions at Michigan state on the same day as much son and haven’t heard back yet.

1 Like

I think decisions at Michigan are released by studio. He is voice and the audition dates for voice were Jan. 16/23/30th. I hope you hear something soon! The decision came as an email to my son. He did not need to check the portal to get the decision.

1 Like

I was just waitlisted from SMTD for voice (Jan 16 audition). Does anyone know the timeline/chances of getting accepted off the waitlist? I’m glad I’m still in consideration, but really don’t know what to expect.

2 Likes

The waitlist does move, but it requires patience. Most people are waiting on merit/financial aid info from multiple institutions before they commit to one school and relinquish the others. It is hard to project a general timeline, but I do know of students who moved off the UMich waitlist as late as May, after putting a deposit down on another choice (as they should have!) Accepting admission off of the waitlist would then mean you lose the deposit at another school, so it’s up to the student to decide if it’s worth it. Move on with your other amazing choices and let thoughts of that waitlist fade into the background!

2 Likes

My daughter had a great time at Colburn, school feels like some tuition free heaven. She made it through call backs, but still very very few spots open. NEC this weekend.

6 Likes

Way to go!! It is really a little gem in DTLA (I live about 10 mins from there).

1 Like

Boston is supposed to get a big snowstorm Sunday night / Monday; hopefully you don’t have too far to travel after the NEC audition so you can make it out and home ahead of the worst of it. Best of luck!

1 Like

Thanks. She goes to boarding school just outside Boston and NEC Prep so its her home turf and will go alone.

2 Likes

Our kids likely know each other - small world. (Assuming she’s in YPO.)

Yes, YPO, but has not been at a rehearsal this month, I think, due to audition travel and will miss the next concert to be in NYC.

1 Like

Is there a list anywhere of approximately when we can expect to hear about audition results by school? I know some seem to do it by studio, but others (MSM) seem to release all on the same day. Just trying to put my sanity on a calendar :slight_smile:

I only know what I know…

Jacobs comes out on March 18. We have sat in on several of their presentations and they drive that date home repeatedly. I think it’s the first year the entire school is releasing for all studios the same day, only because one Admissions Director joked “It might not work!”

Not a list, but there’s one more date you can log. Maybe others can provide.

The ambiguous “Mid to Late March” seems to be approaching faster every day. I don’t know what I’m going to do with myself when this is over.

2 Likes

Wow! This is new for Jacobs. Not sure how I feel about about it. I’ve had 3 kids attend there, and they all heard results within 2 weeks of auditioning no matter which weekend they auditioned. Dang! The waiting!

Surprised by the Jacobs comment as well. They did rolling acceptances in the past.

You can check last year’s threads to get an idea about acceptance dates. But as in the Jacob’s situation, things can change.

As difficult as it is to wait, it’s not over until it’s over. So if others are hearing and you are not, you need to find a way to wait it out as you never know the policy of the teacher (some may contact you and some may not), the studio (at big schools with grad students also auditioning the number of spots can be in flux up to the last days) and the school (some may have policies about releasing formal acceptances). Inevitably, you’ll have a school on your list that releases your acceptance at 5 pm the last day. So, buckle up!

For a couple of comments further up the thread…any positive communication from a teacher is positive. You/the student should feel good about it. Still, you need to wait for a formal acceptances. The teacher may want your kid…but then, at the end, studio space and requirements may change. Celebrate any positive about an audition….then wait for a written acceptance.

And, waiting lists DO move in music/performance. It is NOT like an academic wait list. If the school is truly your number one choice do not hesitate to communicate that to music administration. But then you may want to focus on another school or two where you were accepted. My D was wait listed at 2 schools (one for MT and one for Acting) and she came off both wait lists (one in early May). She had decided on VP so she did not accept them. But I know a lot of kids that got off wait lists…so it is a possibility.

Good Luck!

4 Likes

Thanks all, helpful.

Does anyone know the protocol of pulling your music application from a school that you decided to not do an in-person audition at even though you scheduled it? I’m assuming contact the music school, but would he also need to contact the overall Admissions department for the university as well?

This is a high-class problem! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

For real lol I guess when you apply to 14 schools you have that “luxury” lol

1 Like