Class of 30 Undergrad/Class of 28 Grad: All Things Related to Music School Applications (prescreens/tours/interviews/auditions/supplements/etc)

to a certain degree, sure. I think at MSU, it’s 2 credits so not really an intense focus at least.

1 Like

Yes, we heard yesterday morning for Vocal Performance.

Do you know if Jacobs has a strong MT program? My dd is a sophomore right now and has decided to go for MT in college.

I vaguely remember my son mentioning a kid who was denied from JHU part of the dual program and accepted to Peabody. I don’t remember asking how the results were communicated. At that time we were trying to figure out if it was possible to get in one part while applying to dual, and the answer was yes to either part. Luckily my son was accepted to dual but decided not to attend. Back then Peabody did not give merit money to dual degree students.

I think they still don’t give merit for dual degree students. I vaguely remember them mentioning that during the info session on audition day.

1 Like

Jacobs is out! Check portal! Good luck!

2 Likes

I believe you can get merit for dual degree at JHU/Peabody, but it comes from JHU, not Peabody.

1 Like

That may have been what they said lol I k now I was tuned out at that part because there is no dual degree happening here lol

1 Like

That’s correct based on what they told us earlier this year. Thankfully the JHU need-based aid changes may potentially offset that. Fingers crossed!

2 Likes

Yay!! My daughter has been accepted to Jacobs! So exciting! But no financial package yet! That will come out near April 1st…:unamused_face:

7 Likes

Congrats! there’s that dumb April 1st date again lol I mean no pressure its not like anyone has to decide where to go by May 1st or anything. SMH

2 Likes

Do schools let you know which studio you get into before accepting?

Some do

My son was just waitlisted by IU Jacobs in jazz performance (brass). Ugh. Does anyone have experience with waitlists? Do they move, or is he likely out of luck? Is it appropriate to inquire how many other kids were waitlisted in his studio?

4 Likes

Still waiting on Blair, Thornton, Shepherd. And aid in for from Michigan. Not really expecting anything until next week.

2 Likes

Well she can not commit until she knows who she will be studying with. That is important. She had some lessons ahead of time with some professors, but some schools she did not. She will likely try to set up a lesson with the school

In response to your question about Jacobs’ MT program. As of today, the MT program at Indiana is not in Jacobs, but the University’s College of Arts and Science.

I am on this site as the parent of a HS Senior Soprano-VP , but her sister is an MT student in college (Marymount Manhattan). She auditioned for and was accepted into the MT program at IU, amongst others. She was called back to many good programs, including many of the very top. She liked IU very much. Two of the top talents in the state just a couple years ahead of her went off to very good programs across the country and transferred back to Indiana to enter the MT program. At my Soprano daughter’s audition weekend at Jacobs this year, the Chair of the Department of Voice intimated there was a good chance that MT would detach from the College of Arts and Sciences and be absorbed by the Jacobs School of Music, which I think is a tremendous win for both the MT program and Jacobs. I would verify this personally though. As a Midwesterner, I personally know kids who were not called back at IU that were called back at Michigan, generally considered one of if not the top MT program in the country. But in the end in MT, so much comes down to need of the Department and fit with the student.

In the end, I felt like a lot of people who knew what they were talking about regarded IU as a strong program ascending to the level of what are generally considered the stronger programs available. And that was three years ago. Personally, my daughter wanted to expedite going to NYC and that’s why she ended up choosing Marymount over Indiana.

It definitely can’t hurt to ask and find out if they know which studio she’s been assigned to.

Daughter (VP) found out 3/26/25 last year for USC.

1 Like

Regarding waitlists, although it is tough to have even more ambiguity in this crazy process, take heart knowing that your musician is in consideration and at a level deemed appropriate for the school and studio.

Yes, waitlists do move. But it is hard to predict.
It is perfectly appropriate to ask for more information from the program including where your musician is on the waitlist, when can you anticipate an update.

The school may give you/him clear answers but may not. Only because there will be so many moving parts over these next few months.

Many kids are accepted to more than 5 schools. Many spots are declined and thus spots open for those on the waitlist.

I do recommend that he move forward with his other offers. But a waitlist is far from a rejection.

6 Likes