music waitlists move more than others. My Blair kid was initially waitlisted there (he was also waitlisted at Oberlin and didn’t end up getting offered a spot there). I’d have him reach out and make sure they know that he’s interested, but also be prepared to move on to other options. I think it’s fine to ask how many people are on the waitlist…sometimes general questions like that will yield more information about how likely the prof thinks an eventual admission offer is (and sometimes not).
In case anyone’s wondering, if the student gets a ‘No’ from JHU, they will not get anything from Peabody and will wait until the regular Peabody decision date.
Maybe it’ll be the same day everyone else finds out after all. Which I think is the 25th
Has anyone not heard from Jacobs? (I’ve been lurking here for a while, but am finally posting!) Still waiting…
My D’s current update:
Official acceptance from Michigan SMTD late February
Still waiting on Juilliard, Eastman, NEC, USC, Oberlin, etc… But nothing from Jacobs yet.
I have a current sophomore in Voice at Jacobs, and she has also heard that Jacobs will be absorbing the MT program in the near future. They already announced that the contemporary dance program in the College of Arts and Sciences will merge with Jacobs ballet in Jacobs starting this fall. I have heard good things about the MT program as well. A couple of my daughter’s friends are Jacobs voice majors but doing the Bachelors of Science in Voice with an Outside Field in MT–aka BSOF degree. I have also heard (in an MT FB parents group) that the IU MT program is hard to get into and that they only take 10 kids a year – 5 male, 5 female. You would have to verify that though.
We are aware of violins and cellos that heard from Jacobs yesterday, FWIW
did you check the Jacobs portal?
Yes! Still says it’s “under review” Sigh!
We heard yesterday from Jacobs. Piano BM
I’d have your child follow up. They were clear that you would hear on (by) March 18th.
For those that have had their child fly to a school and stay at a hotel by themselves (I know there are a few of you here) were there any issues with them checking into the hotel by themselves? I know some hotels tend to be sticklers about the age thing. We are seriously thinking about flying my son up to Boston for hopefully a shadow day at Berklee. I do not think he can wait until their Admitted Students Day on 4/25 because that’s just too long of a wait to have him make his decision and I’m sure that day wouldn’t really allow for him to see classes in sessions anyways.
There is a Hilton right around the corner from Berklee in Back Bay. I would call and ask them their policy. I imagine they have had this situation come up before.
Mine used Airbnb. Under my account. I was clear with the host that it was my 17 year old in town for an audition.
Update on my kid applying for grad schools (I asked him if it was okay to name names before posting)…he’s applying to masters programs…some for just a regular old performance degree on his instrument, some are chamber or contemporary music masters programs. He’s in at Rutgers, ASU, and Bard, and waitlisted at UMich. Still waiting to hear from MSM, but also still waiting to hear about money most places. It’s weird, because with undergrad we had a pretty good idea that we could afford everywhere he applied (either they were schools that meet need or just have a good reputation for need-based aid or were in-state publics), but there’s so much less information for masters programs. And he also didn’t do as much digging about FA when making his list as I would have done. So, basically, he’s not even really letting himself think about making a decision until all the funding info is in. Also until his senior recital is over (it’s Saturday! We leave tomorrow morning to go see it)
From what I hear, most schools give out a ton of merit to masters students. My dd applied as an undergrad last year at CMU. They told her there was practically no money given to BM students and it mostly goes to grad students. That is just one example I know first hand. But I have read this is the case for a lot of schools. Exciting for his senior recital. I go to my dd junior recital in about a month at Jacobs.
He really pretty much needs all his tuition covered because we can’t help much at all. So MSM we’ve heard rarely gives over half tuition (and then you still have to pay to actually live in Manhattan). He’s hoping for an assistantship at ASU, which would cover tuition and leave him enough left over that he could make it work (with the help of summer jobs, part time jobs during the school year, etc). He was told UMich doesn’t give assistantships to masters students at all, though (I mean, also he’s waitlisted, so likely doesn’t matter). Anyway, we’ll see! Worst case he needs to take a year off and work and save some money (and make a list more focused on schools with funding/TA positions).
The BackBay Hilton is right there. If you use the app, you can get a digital key so no need for front desk. The problem is that it’s not always “working.” I had to all but beg the Embassy Suites near my son’s campus when the digital key didn’t work and he needed to be on campus after the dorms closed. Pretty strict about 21….Call and see what they say. I think there’s also a very close Sheraton. Maybe he would have better luck at an airport hotel based on the fact that emergencies happen and they have had to make exceptions before (cancelled flights, etc)
My friend mentioned an airport location for the same reason. I’m definitely familiar with the Hilton app not always working with the digital key. Definitely will have to call around before we book anything concrete.
A friend with a son at Berklee said they used the Hilton back bay and digital key app and it was never an issue. Can also call and ask admissions if they have any recommendations. Some schools have lists of hotels they recommend.They also recommend CitizenM. Her boys have stayed at both places solo.