Class of 30 Undergrad/Class of 28 Grad: All Things Related to Music School Applications (prescreens/tours/interviews/auditions/supplements/etc)

Anyone hear from University of Michigan Merit? I am also waiting on JSOM and USC.

Curious, did anyone who got into USC get any metit?

We are also waiting on Michigan for merit

No sign of merit from USC here.

Do you mind sharing how much merit from JSOM?

We are in-state, and nearly got tuition covered from JSOM. Two different scholarships: 1) Indiana premier young talent award and 2) JSOM academic excellence award. He also had a $1K from the Hutton honors college too to add to it. It’s going to be very difficult at this point to go anywhere else.

2 Likes

No merit here, either (USC)

Financial Aid rep told me April 1st in the afternoon.

2 Likes

:waving_hand: Waiting on Michigan merit (and slowly losing my mind)

1 Like

I’m not seeing anything on the portal. Where specifically did you find yours? This doesn’t bode well.

It was in the JSOM portal, and nowhere else. A posted letter, right underneath the acceptance letter.

I hear you!

My DD just reached out to JSOM. They said it was being rolled out. Likely by tomorrow

1 Like

Yeah…nothing on mine. I guess that’s a zero for IU. Maybe tomorrow? The Financial Aid rep told me 4/1, but acceptance letter says “Before 4/1”. Today’s release of merit aid probably means the latter.

Nothing from NYU, nothing from IU. This is incredibly discouraging and will be a huge blow to her confidence. Tomorrow is UM, and I’m not hopeful. It’s her first choice.

What a rotten way to end the day.

1 Like

Thanks. That’s a hopeful nugget. Maybe by tomorrow.

There is still one more day! It may also be instrument dependent.

2 Likes

And even if it’s no merit at Michigan, maybe you can still appeal? At least that’s what I’m telling myself. Trying to stay positive over here.

2 Likes

All good points. Thanks.

Don’t get discouraged. I have been following IU merit releases for the past 9 years with 3 different kids and several of their friends—most of those voice. Kids have heard news anywhere between 3/31 and 4/3 with absolutely no rhyme or reason. Studios seem to roll out offers at their own pace.

1 Like

Agreed on IU - my son (BSOF clarinet guy) and a friend of his (music performance clarinet guy) heard today. I’d probably only be concerned if your kiddo were a clarinet.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m probably over-reacting. I’ve had 4/1 circled on the calendar for so long that I’m a little quick on the trigger, maybe.

IU is already within budget. Maybe I’m greedy, but the merit aid has always been a little measure of validation for us as it relates to IU. It’s more crucial to our math as it relates to Michigan. I can still probably make the latter work, but the spreadsheets get just a little looser if there is some help from Ann Arbor.

It’s a coin flip between the two at this point. I’d like the choice to be hers instead of someone else making it for her, but that’s showbiz, kid. You don’t always get what you want. That is no easier to contemplate at 52 than it will be for a 17-year-old. Fingers crossed.