close knit community?

<p>how can a school claim to be close knit if its students are cruel on anonymous gossip websites</p>

1 Like

<p>This is a silly question. thedalles is referring to sites that have popped up recently that are advertised as locations to gossip. Do you have something against Dartmouth? It looks like to signed up just to take a jab at us.</p>

<p>You can go to any school and you'll find people who gossip, and in this case you've been exposed to a subset of maybe 20 people who actively seem to enjoy it more than others. At others schools you'll find more. It has nothing to do with whether or not the school is "close knit." Close knit does not mean "no gossip" and "we share our deepest feelings with every single other person." It means we help each other out where it counts, have a great sense of community and self-sufficiency, and love our school.</p>

<p>It's actually pretty mind-boggling to me too. There are a couple of girls I am very close with who have been singled out on a certain gossip website. I just feel so bad for them because they are wonderful, caring people. I'm just as ashamed of the insensitive posters as you are.</p>

<p>Are we talking about this website, or something else?</p>

<p>this website, i think....</p>

<p>What? This isn't a gossip website.</p>

<p>i think the answer is a bit more "juicy"</p>

<p>haha i'm on the same page as 5757...</p>

<p>Despite various forms of gossip, the school is very much in-fact close knit. Like anywhere else in the world, you can't group 5000 people all together and expect that every single one of them will get along with every other one of them - it's not going to happen. In general though, people are very open, friendly, welcoming and nice. Online forums of various sorts aren't really the best place to get a read of it. Visit the school and get a feel for it yourself.</p>

<p>thedalles isn't referring to this website. Recently, some sites have arisen for the sole purpose of gossip and nothing else. It's not a Dartmouth specific phenomenon, which is why I don't understand why thedalles singles out Dartmouth. The site we all have in mind started elsewhere and is available to and used by many other schools.</p>

<p>I looked at it last night. It was remarkably sophomoric, especially for the likes of Dartmouth.</p>

<p>Did I read that one of the gossip sites is being investigated by the New Jersey attorney general?</p>

<p>Wow.... I really think that taking the small population at Dartmouth who actually go on Juicycampus and post such mean things is very non-representative of the entire student body. </p>

<p>By close-knit community I can't possible imagine a campus that's more friendly. From the frats to the student-organized activities, everyone's... just so calm and collected. It's really hard to describe, but I haven't met any people here who have been particularly malicious or mean-spirited.</p>

<p>Ps- If you're really going to use that site as a proper gauge for the social attitude at Dartmouth, maybe you shouldn't come here.</p>