CMC vs Reed

<p>which one is better in terms of academics, the attitude of the college, and the ability to get accepted to a top grad school?</p>

<p>Are we comparing the College of Humanities and Social Sciences at CMU with Reed?</p>

<p>Claremont Mckenna College vs Reed is that better?</p>

<p>Oh, sorry, I misread.</p>

<p><a href="http://wsjclassroom.com/pdfs/wsj_college_092503.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://wsjclassroom.com/pdfs/wsj_college_092503.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>CMC for professional programs, Reed for Ph.Ds.</p>

<p>Reed students become quite in-your-face about the rigeur of their College, and the students are a tad out of the ordinary.</p>

<p>CMC students have the benefit of taking courses at the other colleges in the Claremont Consortium, and the diversity of the students attending all of these colleges.</p>

<p>My vote goes to CMC.</p>

<p>If you wanted to pursue a Ph.D., you could find amazing mentors who would write you solid recs at CMC too.</p>

<p>CMC is superior at academics
CMC is pre-professional, while Reed has a more liberal intellectual atmosphere</p>

<p>Wow this is a tough decision, you can't go wrong if you have to choose between these two!</p>

<p>I would say CMC though.</p>

<p>Very, very different student bodies.
I would put Reed in the Swarthmore, University of Chicago camp.
And CMC in the Penn, Northwestern camp. The admissions dean at CMC concurred with this assessment.</p>

<p>Agree with broetchen. We don't know you, so we don't know what you want. Reed might be more likely to get you into a top PhD grad school, CMC into a top pre-professional grad school. Visiting both overnight would likely be helpful to you.</p>

<p>Plus, I'd say there is no "better" but rather what is better for you.</p>

<p>These are both highly regarded schools but have distinct followings. Claremont McKenna seems to have a reputation for being politically conservative compared to many other selective LACs. Reed has the opposite reputation.</p>

<p>Loren Pope called Reed "the most intellectual college in the country." From its founding in 1908, it deemphasized sports and Greek life, stressing academic rigor and an egalitarian social atmosphere (coeducation and no exclusive clubs). Reed requires a senior thesis, in addition to oral comprehensive exams that can cover the content of any course taken up to that point. Grades reports ordinarily are not disclosed to students unless requested. Reed has a reputation for grade deflation but its alumni earn PhDs at the third highest per capita rate of any college or university in the USA. </p>

<p>CMC has the advantages of being part of a consortium, along with sunnier weather. It is a young school, founded in 1946 with an emphasis on programs in political science, economics and international relations. 40% of CMC students major in government or economics and only about 12% in math and science (compared to ~24% in math & science at Reed).</p>

<p>"its alumni earn PhDs at the third highest per capita rate of any college or university in the USA."</p>

<p>I would be interested to know what the top 5 / 10 are. I'm sure Oberlin and Swarthmore would be near the top.</p>

<p>^ COLLEGE</a> PHD PRODUCTIVITY</p>

<p>A Few Notable Reed People</p>

<p>Steve Jobs (dropped out, co-founded Apple)
James Beard (Chef, expelled)
James Russell (inventor of the compact disk)
Larry Sanger (co-founder of Wikipedia)
Barbara Ehrenreich (author of Nickel and Dimed)
... lots of college professors</p>

<p>A Few Notable CMC People</p>

<p>Henry Olsen (VP of the American Enterprise Institute)
Matthew Spalding (Director, Simon Center for American Studies, Heritage Foundation)
Thomas Pritzker (Executive Chairman of Hyatt)
Michael S. Jeffries (CEO of Abercrombie & Fitch)
Robin Williams (comedian)</p>

<p>@OscarandBosie</p>

<p>Here is the top ten based on number of PhD's (student body size is accounted for)</p>

<p>1) Caltech
2) Harvey Mudd
3) Reed
4) Swarthmore
5) MIT
6) Carleton
7) Grinnell
8) Bryn Maur
9) UChicago
10) Oberlin</p>