CMU Creative Writing good for graphic novelist?

<p>I love both writing and illustrating. Throughout my high school career I've been working on a graphic novel project involving Catholic demon slayers (Crusaders) and Exorcists who operate secretly in modern times. Obviously I was inspired by William Peter Blatty's The Exorcist, and the set of characters I made up are very diverse. Though the main characters are American Catholics, there are others from different countries and religions who also slay demons. Basically I like to tie in elements of religion, literature, culture, imagination and philosophy.</p>

<p>I'm more than just a comic junkie and manga/anime fan; I'm a bookworm in general and have found inspirations in Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, Tolkien and Hosseini. I'm also inspired by artists like Alphonse Mucha, Arthur Rackham, John Howe, Terryl Whitlatch and James Gurney.</p>

<p>This year I applied to CMU's BXA/BHA program b/c of my dual interest. And finally to the question: would its program suit my goals? Though being a graphic novelist is my top interest, being a concept or story artist for the entertainment industry sounds cool too. For art, my preferred mediums range from ink and pencil to digital painting/drawing on Photoshop. For writing, I like to do short stories (mostly imaginative and fictional) and a couple of novel excerpts. Hope I didn't bore you with my long post! Any inside info on CMU's BHA program would be great!! :3</p>

<p>And, if you really want to know, my favorite manga/anime include Fullmetal Alchemist, Blue Exorcist, Deadman Wonderland, Hellsing, Digimon, Eureka Seven and Claymore. I prefer action, shonen, grittiness and meaning. None of that cutesy, girly, shojo stuff. :)</p>

<p>I'm assuming you applied BHA Art & Creative writing? One of my best friends is BHA Art and Creative writing, so if you have questions I can pass them along.</p>

<p>I can tell you this: don't expect to go to art school and be able to free form your assignments into graphic novel related projects. You will need be able to create many types of art in many types of styles (3D media, wood, metal, etc) in order to complete your studio coursework. You can, of course, cater to your preferences, but be aware that you would be shutting off a good portion of your arts education if you worked exclusively on a pen&ink->digital workflow after your initial studio work.</p>

<p>That said, the creative writing program here is quite good, and my friend loves it. You'll get a lot of exposure to a variety of types of creative writing and creative processes, and they'll push you to develop your best work. I think it's a great choice if you're looking to go into </p>

<p>The school of art does offer some sort of "comics drawing" course, as well as several Animation classes that include extensive sections on storyboarding. I'm not sure exactly how much we offer as far as storyboarding for print media, but the school of design has some fantastic print courses.</p>

<p>Overall, the BHA program is a pretty solid choice, as you get to explore both paths and can take electives pretty much unrestricted in both departments.</p>

<p>Hey tyralis,</p>

<p>It would be awesome if I could get in touch with your friend. :D I'm aware of the experimentation and different classes I would be taking, especially during freshman and sophomore years. Ink and digital art is what I prefer, though I've taken welding, animation and sculpture classes in my high school. (It's an arts school, so the curriculum is structured to sort of mirror those of art colleges.)</p>

<p>Glad to hear that the creative writing program rocks! I need to get that kind of exposure for any works I may write in the future. Unlike my art, my writing is mainly for fun or the occasional contest, so I don't get much critique or constructive criticism in a school environment. I'm even more excited for BHA now. :)</p>

<p>Hi, CW major/entertainment industry person here. I've also taken several classes in the school of art. Both are great programs, you'll love them, and they're very welcoming towards graphic novelists. Most of my friends (myself included) are at least somewhat interested in anime, so you'll probably be among people who "get" your style.</p>

<p>(Psst: You should come do art for Game Creation Society. We're always looking for concept art people. Seriously.)</p>

<p>That's awesome! I was a little worried that my inclination towards concept/commercial/design art wouldn't fit in, since most art programs at academic universities tend to be more fine artsy. While I certainly don't mind drawing figures and objects, my passion is drawing stuff that appeals to my imagination and geeky side. :3</p>

<p>If I do end up going to CMU, I'll definitely check that out. Sounds like a lot of fun. By entertainment industry do you mean the ETS program?</p>

<p>The ETC offers lots of game-related classes that undergrads can take, but no, I'm not a student - it's a graduate program. It is really cool though! I have interned as a designer and will be interning as a narrative designer for games this summer. The ETC does a lot of connecting students with entertainment industry professionals though so it is definitely a useful place to check out when you'd like to get hired.</p>

<p>I'll definitely keep that in mind. Do you do mostly assignments or whatever you want to write? Or a balance of both?</p>

<p>It's a bit of both. Some professors will do 1-on-1s where they assign you a specific kind of story based on where they think your weaknesses are. Others will let you write whatever you want, however you want to. I just finished an advanced fiction workshop where the premise was that you were writing a series of short stories taking place within the same location, each one about 8 - 10 pages.</p>

<p>That's the other thing - be ready for CW page writing requirements. It's not uncommon to be asked to write 10 pages in a week, every week.</p>

<p>I see. That's a lot like journals for my school's art department. Seniors don't have journal requirements anymore, but I remember as an underclassman that we get certain number of pages done in a week. At least 5 experimental and 5 life drawings...something like that. Writing contests also have that page requirement thing going on. So it's not a surprise that CMU's writing program has that too. :)</p>

<p>Is the workload manageable? Especially if you're pursuing a different major at the same time?</p>