Colgate vs. Lehigh

<p>Major differences?</p>

<p>Selectivity, rigor/academics, social life, "feel,"</p>

<p>I would rather go to Colgate for both academics and social life. Colgate and Lehigh are both party schools. They're different types of schools, Lehigh is a research university while Colgate is a liberal arts college.</p>

<p>They are both highly respected schools. Colgate is an LAC, while Lehigh is more of a reserarch university (strong in engineering). They are bothy very fratty and preppy.</p>

<p>Holy Cross and Bucknell are also similar to Colgate and Lehigh. ALL 4 schools are rivals in the Patriot League. Holy Cross and Colgate are LAC's with frats at Colgate and none at HC. Lehigh, Colgate, Bucknell are rural while Holy Cross is 1 hour from Boston. Holy Cross and Colgate have very strong alumni giving rates with HC's >50%.</p>

<p>Lehigh is larger and has engineering and business, where Colgate does not. Colgate is more rural, has a better campus (although both are good), and is slightly more selective.</p>

<p>For social life, both schools are very similar. Both have large Greek systems, and are in the same athletic conference. They are both considered to be party schools.</p>

<p>Lehigh has long been considered a top engineering school and now has added a business school that is also highly ranked for undergraduate business.</p>

<p>Several of its engineering departments are ranked in the top 20 in the country and a recent ranking of "Tech's Most Powerful Colleges" put Lehigh at #8 in the U.S., among some nice company.</p>

<p>Innovation</a> - The Daily Beast</p>

<p>The school has a great name in the East Coast.</p>

<p>Lehigh is also known for its Wrestling teams, usually ranking in the top ten.</p>

<p>With about 2,800 undergraduates versus Lehigh's 4,800, Colgate's average SAT's are a bit higher and its average size class is smaller.</p>

<p>Both schools all into the "work hard/party hard" category, with Lehigh recently ranked in the top 20 of Playboys top party schools in the U.S.</p>

<p>Lehigh's closeness to New York City and Philadelphia gives the students another avenue for the Arts and social life.</p>

<p>Thank you all. </p>

<p>Which would you say is the more respected school for someone looking for a degree in English?</p>

<p>Colgate would be better for english</p>

<p>Yes, I imagine that Colgate would be better for english...</p>

<p>if you are looking at Colgate, also look at its neighboring LAC</p>

<p>Hamilton College</p>

<p>They are not exactly "neighboring" they're at least 1/2 hour apart.</p>

<p>soze, ha!</p>

<p>you are very funny</p>

<p>Yes, I did Colgate and Hamilton in the same day. I really think Colgate is my first choice at this point. I love the fratty social scene mixed with great academics... Lehigh is just bit too engineering based and not as well regarded for English.</p>

<p>Princeton review has Colgate with a sel. rating of 96 while Lehigh has a 97! Someone reassure me that this is simply because Colgate gets less applications!</p>

<p>searchingirl, it appears that Colgate is best for you</p>

<p>by the way on the rankings side,</p>

<p>USNWR has Lehigh at #35 for major research universities and Colgate at #19 for LAC. These rankings would be considered about equal.</p>

<p>Their selectivity ratings don't make much sense. Brandeis for example has a higher rating than Cornell.</p>

<p>Neither school (Lehigh/Colgate) is substantially more selective than the other. The edge goes to Colgate, but it's definitely not to the point where someone would use selectivity as a reason to choose one school over the other.</p>

<p>Def go 'Gate. They've got an astounding list of journalism graduates, and Colgate's location, in my opinion, is much better. Also, the campus is pretty much a ski lodge in college form :b</p>

<p>What toothpaste do you use, btw? That might help you decide.</p>

<p>[another not so funny cliched joke. Oh well]</p>

<p>ski lodge?</p>

<p>ha!</p>

<p>funny you would mention that with all the snow that Colgate gets in upstate New York</p>

<p>
[quote]
Also, the campus is pretty much a ski lodge in college form

[/quote]
</p>