collection letter advise needed

<p>A collection letter was sent to our correct home address with an unfamiliar name. We bought our house new about three years ago so there are no previous owners. There is no one with that last name listed in the phone book for our county. The client/creditor is a bank located in Texas. We are in the Carolinas. I did open the letter (it basically looked like junk mail). The collection agency does appear to be legitimate. </p>

<p>How would you suggest I handle this? At this point, I'm most concerned about identity theft/fraudulent SSN usage.</p>

<p>I would start with checking the free credit reports available at annual credit report, the government-mandated site where all three credit agencies are required to provide one free credit report per year. I would want to review the reports for accuracy and to make sure that no one has opened anything using my data.</p>

<p>Once you have checked the credit reports, reply IN WRITING to the credit agency stating that you do know know the person sought, you have no information about the alleged debt, it was not incurred by you, and to cease all communications with you.</p>

<p>It is more likely that someone simply used your address rather than stole your identity. Identity theft would more likely involve a debt would be in your name at a different address!</p>

<p>I would ignore the letter, and not do anything further.</p>

<p>I get daily telephone calls for people that have unpaid debts or outstanding arrest warrants at my home number. I tell them (if I answer the call) that the person they are seeking doesn't reside there, but a different agency gets the file and calls back a month later. I think there are 10 or 20 different people they are seeking.</p>

<p>The constant phone calls is annoying, but I'm not responsible for it. I don't think anything different would be the case for something mailed to you in the wrong name.</p>

<p>next time you get a letter, just write "refused, wrong address" and drop it the outgoing mail slot, it'll get returned to sender and they'll get the message.</p>

<p>It's nothing to get worked up about.</p>

<p>In the future, don't open up other people's mail. Just write wrong address on the envelope and put it back in the mailbox.</p>