College asks applicants about sexual orientation

<p>Elmhurst</a> College asks prospective students about sexual orientation - Chicago Sun-Times</p>

<p>Doesn't offend me much, let's be honest if your a homosexual student you could get in a room with another homosexual student which would be a lot more comfortable for all.</p>

<p>Funny, I would have thought a homosexual student might feel more comfortable with a heterosexual roommate. But then again....</p>

<p>I believe Penn does this, too. </p>

<p>I don't see the big deal as long as it's just used for the college to get a sense of the scope of what amount of LGBT support they need to set up. </p>

<p>As for hetero students having to room with gay students -- everyone can just grow up. Colleges don't need to accommodate that any more than they need to prevent white students from getting black roommates.</p>

<p>What's novel about this is that it's on the application (not on a housing form), and that it's considered as positive (or at least neutral). I think there are other colleges that will not accept gay students at all.</p>

<p>I think it's because this is Elmhurst College (which is a pleasant, private college in the Chicago suburbs, but nothing that burns the house down) this thread isn't getting a lot of discussion. If it were a big name college, this thread would be hopping!</p>

<p>After the Rutgers incident last year, perhaps it might be useful to somehow take this sort of thing into account.</p>

<p>Harvard supplement lists activities to be considered in college that one is interested in that a student wants to pursue in college (only two). LGBT Groups is one of them. </p>

<p>Not only do you list the activities but they further ask the following question on a 5 point scale.</p>

<p>How definite are your extracurricular and / or athletic interests?</p>

<p>On American's housing application when they asked for gender the choices were: male, female, transgender and other. My D was a little worried about the "other." jk</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>"Other" might apply to [url=<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersex%5Dintersex%5B/url"&gt;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersex]intersex[/url&lt;/a&gt;] persons.</p>

<p>The article referenced points out there are tuition scholarships available to those with a same sex orientation, plus they want to help those students with college adjustments. A positive spin on things.</p>

<p>College</a> Is First in the U.S. to Ask Applicants About Sexual Orientation - Yahoo! News</p>

<p>"By adding the question, LGBT students will now be considered among other groups of underrepresented students for the financial award, which covers up to one third of the cost of tuition."</p>

<p>Harvard is thinking about how to add the question, too. </p>

<p>LGBT</a> Question May Be Added to Admissions Application | News | The Harvard Crimson</p>

<p>I can tell you that for my straight son, having a gay or female roomie would be a non-issue (as in, not a concern). He would be much more concerned about whether they leave dirty dishes in the sink, or play loud music.</p>

<p>I don't like the way the question is worded (the original link posted a few months ago), but I do like the fact that it included a "prefer not to answer". I am bisexual but I don't necessarily consider myself a part of the "LGBT community". I didn't answer the race questions, even though I am white/Hispanic and I wouldn't answer LGBT questions simply because I hate being classified as something for statistical purposes. Anyway, a better way of asking would be "Do you identify as LGBTQ or gender neutral (as well as a few other ones)?"</p>

<p>ETA: This is, unfortunately, an issue with living arrangements. A friend of mine who is moving into my apartment next year has already been practically living in my apartment because her roommate is bothered by the fact that she's a lesbian. She has a girlfriend, who has only come up once, and it really "creeps out" her roommate. My roommates, however, have never had an issue with my sexuality and none of the gay men I know have had any issues with their roommates. It baffles me that people can be bothered by the sexuality of their roommate- I've met too many straight people who think that LGBT people hit on anything with a pulse. Get over yourselves (to those who think that their roommate is going to hit on them just because their roommate is gay or a lesbian).</p>

<p>
[quote]
“Increasing diversity is part of our mission statement,” said Gary Rold, Elmhurst’s dean of admissions. “This is simply closing the loop, in many ways, of another group who has a very strong identity. It may not be race and religion but it’s an important part of who they are.”

[/quote]
So...do they ask for the person's religion? It sounds like yet another way to practice discrimination under the auspices of 'diversity' (as they happen to define it at the particular moment).</p>

<p>I don't think they should ask this, or their religion, or their race, or their gender, or anything else that's not pertinent to an education but it's a private college so I suppose they can discriminate in any way they want that the law allows.</p>