College Football Out of Control

<p>This mania for college football is out of control. I am a fan. I follow the rankings. However, it seems like football has now taken over many universities.</p>

<p>For many universities, it could truly be said that the University President is trying to create a college that the football team can be proud of.</p>

<p>The situation in Penn State is ludicrous. Paterno knew about a serial sexual predator in his midst, and did nothing about it. This has exposed Penn State to significant legal liability if it is sued by the victims. Not to mention the moral outrage.</p>

<p>He SHOULD have been fired. In fact, when this story first broke, my immediate thought was that he would wind up being fired. </p>

<p>If he had not been fired, THEN there should have been protests.</p>

<p>Not only that, but these ridiculous protests turned violent. Over what? Because a football coach was fired? A bunch of kids who have not worked a day in their life, living on their parents' dime, or on the backs of the taxpayers, rioting over a football coach.</p>

<p>Basically, the football teams at most top colleges are just mercenaries. Most of the players could never have earned admission to the colleges they go to under traditional standards.</p>

<p>Most of the players have no real interest in even going to college. They just view it as a stepping stone to the NFL.</p>

<p>As for me, other things being equal, I do not want my kid going to a college with a big time football program. Yes, football brings in money, but ultimately, it is a distraction from academics.</p>

<p>Again, I am a fan, but things have gotten totally out of control. Perhaps the Penn State riots will serve as a wake-up call for colleges to re-evaluate their undue emphasis on football.</p>

<p>Perhaps this should be in the Parents Cafe instead of the College Admissions forum.</p>

<p>Any chance you moved to Florida from some northern state? If so, carry on. </p>

<p>If not, then you need to get your mind right. ;)</p>

<p>oh, not this again....</p>

<p>Yes, I am from the north originally !!!!!!</p>

<p>Being a parent I'm certain you can understand collegians' impulsiveness. Should we make such general declarations based on the actions of PSU students last night? Go to their own campus and you see how many voices are decrying the excesses of the rioters.</p>

<p>--Yes, I am from the north originally !!!!!! ---</p>

<p>OK, I understand now. For a moment, I was worried about you. ;)</p>

<p>Are you trying to say that this will affect someone's chance at getting into PSU... might as well put it in a different forum or talk on one of the several threads devoted to the scandal.</p>

<p>Also, if a college student is able to live by himself, he should be able to handle the "distraction" of football. You should just send your child to a commuter school if you are that worried about distractions. If you have not heard, all colleges have drug and alcohol problems - I feel like those are more dangerous than school spirit.</p>

<p>You have to forgive the young blood sometimes. I personally agree with you though. Football shouldn't be the only priority. Academics program should also be considered. </p>

<p>Anyway there's a heads up about a lad naming Austin Mcclellan from Central Florida, South Florida.</p>

<p>Football</a> Recruiting and Basketball Recruiting, Rankings, and News at PrepForce.com</p>

<p>*Most of the players have no real interest in even going to college. They just view it as a stepping stone to the NFL.</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>Where's the evidence of this? I think many want a college education and many know that their chances for the NFL are low. Many schools have no kids drafted. And the top football schools only have a small number. </p>

<p>As I've said before, I do not think that the PSU issue is a "football issue". I think it's more of a "guy issue". Many men do not like "getting involved." I think if several women had been told about the situation, it would have been reported in a timely manner.</p>

<p>I would like to see schools with bad graduation rates lose scholarships. Many football players (who are any good) are academically well below the average student at their respective schools. If a college is willing to exclude a more academically competent student in order to select one who makes money for them, the college should be obligated to ensure that the football player graduates. If a school cannot do that, then it should have fewer scholarships.</p>

<p>the college should be obligated to ensure that the football player graduates.</p>

<p>While on one hand this is good, on another it won't work well. A school can't do anything about a junior - with a remaining eligibility year - who doesn't return for final year and goes into the NFL draft.</p>

<p>it's one thing for a student to go thru all 4 years of eligibility and not graduate, it's another if the student leaves early for the NFL. </p>

<p>By putting that scholarship restriction on, a coach wouldn't be able to advise a top athlete honestly and ethically. If a coach knew that he'd lose scholarships if X players go to the draft early, then what's he supposed to do? Lie to them and say that they'll definitely get drafted next year, so stay another year and graduate? Junior standing athletes who pass on going to the draft when they're considered a "hot prospect", risk an injury during their senior years and not being attractive to the NFL. A coach needs to be able to advise each player in a way that is in the PLAYER'S best interest....not the school's.</p>

<p>It would also unfairly punish the schools with top teams, since they are more likely to have juniors drafted to the NFL.</p>

<p>Many schools have gotten quite good at making sure that those athletes who go thru all 4 years of eligibility do graduate. Some schools even have graduates playing who are working on Master's degrees. </p>

<p>I don't know if the grad rate stats include a player who flunks out after a year or two. I don't know if it includes athletes who have been kicked off teams for academic eligibility loss. If so, that's not fair to penalize the school. The school can't have complete control over whether a student will actually study/do homework. A school can require study hours and tutoring hours, but if the student is daydreaming, the school can't help that.</p>

<p>It's one thing for a student to go thru all 4 years and not graduate than if a student only goes 2-3 years.</p>

<p>Really good players leave early. Not so good ones transfer down and try to play more at a lower level school. Neither should be held against a program. The mental demands of big-time football easily equal those of most classes. They should get credits for that.</p>