College Help

<p>Someone I know needs some help. He was to be an incoming freshman at a school with a later starting date than most. He did not receive any financial aid b/c of red tape (they had an incorrect social security number). The student's parents cannot afford the full freight, so if this is not straightened out he does not know where to turn. At this late date the school says that they may be able to offer some financial aid, but they cannot guaranty this. So far there is no financial offer is on the table, and school begins shortly.</p>

<p>Any ideas. I did give some advice, but would like to hear from all of the pros out there. I want to just thank you all in advance.</p>

<p>I have no idea as to the kind of advice I am even looking for, but I am wondering if a gap semester is helpful, and how many credits could one take at a community college before a student would be considered a transfer, rather than an incoming freshman. I ask b/c if he reapplies to other schools, I would like to see him eligible for decent merit and financial aid packages.</p>

<p>I'm a great cheerleader for the gap experience. If he had a great gap year, or took courses and did well, then it seems as if he would just be a stronger candidate next year at the school that accepted him. </p>

<p>You do have to be careful, though. Schools vary tremendously in the number of credits that flip one into the transfer (vs freshman) applicant category. Talk to the school.</p>

<p>chrism, About the transfer credit-I gave him that advice. I told him that he needs to check with an admissions counselor at each school that he may be interested in, as to what he can take at a community college before he becomes a "transfer" (which is ok, if he stays there for 2 years, but he does not want to stay there for 2 years. He wants to be at a 4 year school).
Thanks Chrism.</p>

<p>He should really ask the 4-year colleges he is interested in. I was told that carrying a four-course load per semester would be considered being enrolled as a full-time student at the cc and thus he would have to apply as a transfer. But others have found that it is being enrolled per se that would make him a full-time student; so it depends on how the 4-year college looks at things. </p>

<p>I would suggest he consider doing something non-academic (working and earning money perhaps?) and taking a few courses. That would make him a better rounded applicant.</p>

<p>marite, Thanks. I agree with your advice and told him the same thing. I told him about doing something like becoming a first aid responder, traveling, volunteering. I need to talk to him about working, b/c it is a good thing, but he needs to know that this could impact his financial aid, so he would have to earmark that money for school or he would be in pretty much the same postion that he is in now.</p>