College policies on that earned F?

<p>Some colleges have a "do-over" policy whereby a student who makes a C- or worse in a course (full, end of term grade) can have the option of retaking the class (one time) and subsequently substituting the next (hopefully much better grade) for the earlier, miserable grade. </p>

<p>I can see where such a policy is a kindness to students -- but also very pragmatic for the college. The students are more likely to graduate on time (some majors require a particular GPA to register for upper level classes) and the graduates would tend to have higher GPAs (more attractive to employers). Alas, one F pulls the GPA down much further than one A raises the GPA. </p>

<p>I am curious to know what the policies are at colleges across the nation. In my state, Washington State University has a "do-over" policy but Western Washington University does not. I'll admit I have a pony in this race. S was ill and had a miserable term -- he's much better now, but the consequences of that tough term are still riding hard on his shoulders. It'd be grand if he could show his true abilities in another go. </p>

<p>What have your students been experiencing?</p>

<p>Should be easy to find by putting "repeat courses gpa" in the search box of each school:</p>

<p>Berkeley: General</a> Catalog - Policies - Repetition of Courses</p>

<p>San Jose State: Senate</a> Management Resolution</p>

<p>Stanford: Office</a> of the University Registrar - Repeated Courses | Student Affairs</p>

<p>Olymom was it the infamous logic course?</p>

<p>No -- it was actually a course where the kid liked the topic -- but he got sick enough that he missed a major exam and some minor stuff -- but for courses that have just a few graded items, a Zero will make a course grade plummet (eg: Average 0 + 95 = 95/2 = F or 0 + 84 + 80 = 164/3 = 54 = F)</p>

<p>It is possible to snatch defeat from the jaws of success.</p>

<p>"S was ill and had a miserable term -- he's much better now, but the consequences of that tough term are still riding hard on his shoulders."</p>

<p>Too late now, I know, but why didn't he ask for an incomplete in this course? An incomplete would have allowed him to work out appropriate ways to cover the missed material/exam/lab/whatever, and could have saved the grade.</p>

<p>Right now, he should find out if he can just plain repeat the class, and if so, will both grades appear on his transcript. Not the same thing as grade forgiveness, but he would be able to continue into higher level courses for which this is pre-requisite, and it would help his GPA a bit.</p>

<p>University of Mary Washington:

[quote]
Students may repeat certain courses in which their original grades were C-, D+, D, F or FA. Although both the old grade and the new grade will be shown on the permanent record, the grade in the repeated course is the grade that determines the student’s grade-point average and the amount of credit earned for the course. No additional credits will be earned for repeating courses for which credits have already been earned (courses in which a grade of C-, D+, or D was recorded).</p>

<ol>
<li>No course may be repeated more than once.</li>
<li>No more than three courses may be repeated in a single semester, with the entire summer session considered a single semester.</li>
<li>No more than seven courses altogether may be repeated.

[/quote]

Unfortunately, S is becoming way too familiar with this policy. :(</li>
</ol>

<p>S2 had a miserable first sem. at a NC big state u. in 2008. He re-took three classes in the spring sem. The policy is that the original bad grade has to be a D or F and the course has to be a 100/200 level class. The goal is to help freshmen/sophs to right their ship if they've had a rocky start. </p>

<p>The process is similar to what others have posted. Once the class is re-taken, the new improved grade is the one used for GPA. The original bad grade still shows on the transcript but does not affect GPA. Since that horrible start,S2 has made a 3.0 or higher every sem. The grade replacement policy really saved him from flunking out freshman yr. He'll graduate in May.</p>

<p>In case you haven't heard D's sorry tale: At Emory, prof told D to redo assignments over Xmas break (D got F in her class). D redid them and got them all in; emailed prof to say "thank you for letting me redo them/I have now submitted all of them"; no response. Followed up with another email; no response (she's learning a lot of about how people just don't have to respond to your email) and finally saw prof on campus. Prof said "it's too late now!" Then why did she tell D to redo the work? </p>

<p>I heard through CC that if you retake the class, they will average the grade. Not sure if that's hearsay or what they actually do. There is the option to withdraw within first 10 weeks (not sure if D knew that -- too late now). I'm amazed not at how tough it is, but how rigid. More of what I would expect from a technical school.</p>

<p>@Classof2015
She would have had to know about the Withdraw date b/c it's always written clearly on the uni's academic calender and on their syllabus for the class.
The thing is you can never rely on what a professor says to you. They can say one thing and do another thing. Never take their word for anything. I've had one professor say there won't be any midterms and not to worry. Guess what we show up to class the next day and he's handing out a midterm.
Some professor's can be jerks or just absent minded.</p>

<p>^so true -- thanks -- and there is the possibility that D earned her F and prof was trying to be kind then thought better of it. Maybe prof realized cutting D a break wouldn't be fair to other students.</p>

<p>It is a learning experience (some profs are jerks) -- which mirrors what our kids will find in the workplace, unfortunately. It's like that saying -- you're lucky if you have 1 good teacher in your life. You're lucky if you have 1 good boss in your life. You really appreciate the people who are reasonable, and reliable, and consistent.</p>

<p>My school has a 'grade-forgiveness' policy where you can retake a course and have the grade replaced with the old one. However, you only have two chances at doing this for your undergraduate career.</p>

<p>Thanks, all. I will forward some of these responses to S's campus. It may be too late for him, but I'd like to see things change so future students have a chance to redeem themselves.</p>