College Selection - What to do without rankings?

<p>At the moment, I am a student planning to major in Computer Science and have been accepted to three great universities. So far I have been accepted to Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, Purdue University, and Georgia Tech. Each of the universities are extremely different in terms of socials, location, and the overall feel of their campuses.</p>

<p>Despite all of that, I don't want to lose sight of the academics these schools offer. At the moment, I have been unable to find any way to measure the academic merit of these three institutions in Computer Science. Some companies that rank schools like US News and Business have neglected the major for a few years now (in terms of undergrad). I know they send grads pretty much to similar grad schools, and I see several similarities in the companies that are hiring their graduates. The problem is since these schools are all very, very different I no longer know how to decide between them. I could see myself at any of them and I'm short of ideas besides making a game spinner and hoping for the best.</p>

<p>Any suggestions?</p>

<p>Rankings aren't necessarily an indicator of academic quality.</p>

<p>Have you visited campuses or anything?</p>

<p>Anyway, I would personally choose Georgia Tech. It has a huge reputation, and Atlanta seems like a great location (excellent job market, and lots do to in terms of entertainment).</p>

<p>Purdue, Rose Hulman and GT are all comparable in engineering reputation. I'd suggest you visit each campus, if you can, and then decide. The environments are very different...surely you'll have a preference.</p>

<p>GT has the big city environment of Atlanta; ACC sports. </p>

<p>Purdue is a larger more well-rounded university, so if you don't like engineering, you can major in something else. Big Ten sports.</p>

<p>Rose Hulman is a very good technical college. Located in rural Terre Haute. Social life is somewhat lacking, but will have smaller classes and more personal attention.</p>

<p>I just came back from visiting Purdue and Rose, and visited Georgia Tech a year ago over the summer.</p>

<p>The thing is that the pluses and minuses of each one are kind of large. For instance, I like how Rose is on a trimester system and I can take more courses then at the other universities. However I like Georgia Tech because its in Atlanta and I love cities.</p>

<p>I have my pluses and minuses... I just don't know how to weight them all because it seems like every college has huge pluses and huge minuses.</p>

<p>I guess I could try charting everything out between them and give them a point for the school that wins each category. Effectively finding out what school has the most pluses.</p>

<p>Are costs going to be the same for you? That's one factor that usually helps with the decision making process.</p>

<p>They actually are relatively close in price since they are all out of state for me.
Rose will be roughly $40,000 a year after financial aid for me, Purdue will be roughly 32,000 per year after financial aid, and Georgia Tech will be roughly 34,000 (though I have not heard about financial aid yet, not expecting much if anything)</p>

<p>ROSE HULMAN is known to have an amazing undergrad in computer engineering, although it has no graduate programs/less research going on. use this link (note that R-H is in the top category and the other two are in the 2nd category, then look at Computer Engineering specialty for the top category, where you will see R-H)
<a href="http://polycentric.csupomona.edu/campus_news/usnews_engineering14th.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://polycentric.csupomona.edu/campus_news/usnews_engineering14th.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>