College sports- MUCH harder than high school varsity? ESP. SOFTBALL PLAYERS??

<p>I’m a 3-sport varsity athlete this coming year I do very well with all three… my favorite is softball, which I plan on playing in college. I hear lots of things about college sports. In highschool on varsity we usually, in the beginning of the season, we run 2 1/2 - 3 miles a day and then go on with practicing hitting, base-running, catching, fielding, etc… we usually run more near the end of practice too. Practice generally lasts about 3 -3 1/2 hours.</p>

<p>How much different are college sports / college ball?</p>

<p>Any answers?? Thanks :)</p>

<p>Here is how I would break it down…</p>

<p>If you are hoping to play college division 1, you better have been in the top 3-5% of players at your position in your respective sport in high school, in your state if you hope to compete at the division 1 level.</p>

<p>Division 3, you better have been in the top 20% of players at your position in your sport in high school.</p>

<p>Realistically, Division 3 is a lot less competitive, so they will have a lot more walk-ons or players who didnt play in high school but have natural talent.</p>

<p>I don’t know much about D2 as it’s not widely regarded and a lot of people say it’s even less competitve than D3.</p>

<p>LAUR - in college expect to be involved in a varsity sport just about year round - fall ball - spring ball - dry land/physical training - doubles - fund raising and and and - very time consuming.</p>

<p>Club sports can be an answer for someone who may not be able to make the time committment to a varsity team - still very competitive - but less demanding time wise.</p>

<p>Well from my experience as a former d1 mens soccer player I can say that the main difference is the off season. Granted the competition varies amoung divisions the NCAA puts strict guidlines into what the divisions can do in the off season. </p>

<p>For examples (this isn’t typical of a d3 school) but my friend plays for Amherst College. During their season they do the typical 6 days a week with one day off. However their off season was very very minimal. They didn’t have required lifting and most the practices were captains practices. There was no Spring season for them either. I went to Lafayette College, d1 Patriot League. Our winter season consisted of myself some days having triple sessions and going about 5 days a week. in the Spring we would go again 5 days a week. Both the Winter and Spring consisted of lifting/practices/playing. </p>

<p>I decided to stop playing due to the time comittment. I give all division 1 athletes credit for being able to manage everything. Since I wasn’t going to be playing after college it didn’t make sense to me to put aside other things that could benefit me in the long run. </p>

<p>Just some food for thought, hope this helps!</p>

<p>~Stefan
<a href=“http://www.college-investor.com%5B/url%5D”>www.college-investor.com</a></p>

<p>Thank you :)</p>