College To Offer Plan B Contraception From Vending Machine

<p>"At Shippensburg University, students can now get more than snacks from a vending machine.</p>

<p>The college is now making the 'morning after' pill available through a vending machine.</p>

<p>The 'Plan B' emergency contraception can be obtained through a vending machine in the health center and each dose costs $25.</p>

<p>University officials say they will not make any money from the sales. ..."</p>

<p>Shippensburg</a> University To Offer Plan B Contraception From Vending Machine CBS Philly</p>

<p>Great idea!</p>

<p>PA college thinks this is a good idea..</p>

<p>College</a> students can get ?morning-after' pill from vending machine on campus  - NY Daily News</p>

<p>I know this is a little unconventional and shocking, but working in res life in a college, I understand the logic behind it. One of the issues that we encounter sometimes working with students is the issue of sexual assault, not to mention the unfortunately common risky sexual behavior that seems to go hand and hand with the college party culture. There is considerable controversy among certain groups over the fact that our campus health center, which provides plan B, requires students to explain why they need plan B, which may further violate those who have been raped. They also will not give you the plan B pill on behalf of someone else. Considering girls who may be too embarrassed to go ask for plan B in a pharmacy or campus health center, or who are afraid of being asked about the traumatic circumstances surrounding why they need it, I agree that it's a good idea to provide an anonymous and competitively priced way to get it. </p>

<p>Perhaps the only suggestion I might offer is that they attach pamphlets describing campus health services' options regarding getting birth control prescriptions, and educational materials about risky sexual behavior, STD testing, etc. Quite frankly, it's going to happen, and the best position that colleges can take IMO is one that attempts to educate and prevent as many unplanned pregnancies, STDs, assaults, and other negative consequences as possible. </p>

<p>(Just to add another note: I definitely don't think that all of the sexual behavior going on that may warrant the use of a plan B pill is necessarily risky. Condoms are very effective as a sole method of birth control, when used correctly, but they can and do break. It's definitely not outside of the realm of possibility that there are monogamous couples who may end up utilizing such a vending machine due to an accident, for the sake of not making it a bigger one.)</p>

<p>I think it's wonderful!</p>

<p>There was just a big recall of certain birth control pills also, which may make their users have to reach for plan B this month.</p>

<p>Cool! Agree, great idea.</p>

<p>"Morning-after" pills are simply higher doses of progestin found in normal birth control pills. If physicians would routinely explain this to patients, you probably wouldn't need the dispensing machines in the dorms. People would know how many of their normal progestin-containing pills they'd need to take.</p>

<p>As it is, we definitely do.</p>

<p>what a joke</p>

<p>Are there little tiny doctors in there? How do they breath?</p>

<p>No need to suffocate any docs. From a reliable source - The Guttmacher Institute:</p>

<p>Emergency contraception (EC) can prevent pregnancy when taken shortly after unprotected sex. Currently there are four FDA-approved products on the market. Three of these products are approved for preventing pregnancy when taken within 72 hours after unprotected sex; adults may purchase all of these methods without a prescription, and individuals who are at least 17 years old may purchase one of these methods—Plan B One-Step—without a prescription. The fourth product, Ella can be taken up to 5 days after unprotected sex; it is only available by prescription.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Are there little tiny doctors in there? How do they breath?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Is the cashier at Walgreens a doctor? I realize there may be a pharmacist there, but what scared to death 19 year old girl is going to chat up the pharmacist or phar tech. They are going to dart in and dart out as fast they can. The University is just making it accessible. Just like Walmart, Target, Walgreens, CVS...the list goes on.</p>

<p>You can get aspirin and cold medicine from some vending machines without any tiny doctor. :)</p>

<p>The only thing that concerns me is whether there is a significant health risk associated with using it once or repeatedly. (I have no idea if there is.) I agree with hyperJulie about the wisdom of attaching information about obtaining regular birth control and so forth.</p>

<p>This doctor says YAY.</p>

<p>I wish they had had that when I was in college. It would've saved a lot of worry and misery.</p>

<p>I think it's a good idea.</p>

<p>As far as I've been told by my college's sex professor (yes, we have one), since it's just an increased dose of the same hormones found in birth control, it's very safe to use repeatedly. However, because it is expensive and has some side effects (nausea, I think), and birth control is generally more effective, it's just better to get and stay on the pill.</p>

<p>Hyperi, I agree any student (male or female) who is sexually active should be looking into regular birth control. But sometimes, that planning just doesnt work. And what about girls who are raped? What about date rape? If it is their choice, shouldnt a girl they be able to get Plan B as quickly as possilbe. My DD swears she is not sexually active, and she knows I would not be upset if she were. I like the idea of Plan B as a BACKUP.</p>

<p>What's your problem with it, geeps?</p>