colleges like vassar

<p>as a new 11th grader in the fall, Im new to the whole college search process. but I have been looking at colleges online this summer, and I really like vassar (its small LAC, has a sense of community, and good academics). however I really do not think I have much of a chance of getting in. so what other schools are similar to vassar but with higher acceptance rates?</p>

<p>Ct. College (SAT optional school) and Skidmore (NY).</p>

<p>small LAC, has a sense of community, and good academics. -- </p>

<p>if you like to be involved - Look at Elon in NC</p>

<p>thanks for the imput. any others? just curious for ideas...</p>

<p>Clark U in Mass. Union College in NY. Kenyon College in OH. Earlham and DePauw in Indiana. Albion and Kalamazoo in Michigan. Lawrence and Beloit in Wisconsin. Allegheny and Dickinson in PA.</p>

<p>Earlham College
Beloit College
Skidmore College
New College of Florida
Colorado College
Willamette University
Pitzer College</p>

<p>Hi Clelly,</p>

<p>Check out this list of schools [url=<a href="http://www.collegesofdistinction.com/college-profiles%5DCollege"&gt;http://www.collegesofdistinction.com/college-profiles]College&lt;/a> Profiles<a href="you%20can%20look%20up%20by%20state">/url</a>. </p>

<p>You can find some really good LACs that might be a little bit easier to get into than Vassar.</p>

<p>OP, what's your info so we can see how far from Vassar you may be?</p>

<p>Rhodes College.</p>

<p>The top 30 (arbitrary cut-off there) LACs offer "a sense of community, and good academics." When you say 'like Vassar,' do you mean an urban LAC? Or do you mean 'artsy and intellectual'? Or 'a beautiful, self-contained campus.' Or something else entirely? What do you plan to study? Grades and test scores? Do you need a lot of financial aid? </p>

<p>If you are keen on urban LACs, take a look at Macalester-slightly easier to get into but highly regarded.</p>

<p>ok here is my info:</p>

<p>A- gpa, have not taken the sat yet, psat scores: 165 out of 240, I go to a good private school, fairly sure of getting good recomendations. </p>

<p>extracurriculars:
- president of spanish club for junior and senior year
- ski club
- church youth group
- fair amount of volunteer hours (including working with a fair trade organization in guatemala)
- play violin in school orchestra
- varsity soccer and volleyball</p>

<p>i doubt my chances at vassar because of my gpa and low psat scores</p>

<p>M's Mom,
I like the "beautiful, self contained campus" as well as accepting of gay/lesbian. I also really like the idea of having real mentor kind of relationships with teachers, although I think that is more common of lots of LAC's. I am not sure of what major I want, but am thinking it will probably be english or history - the humanities. I will also need a fair amount of financial aid.</p>

<p>Since you are only entering 11th grade, you have a lot of time. There are many LACs like Vassar with lovely campuses, solid academics and strong mentoring. 90% of them welcome GSLBT students and offer solid history and english majors. Get a USNWR, and look at the LACs ranked 10-60 (another arbitrary cut-off), then get a Fiske or other guide and start reading about them.</p>

<p>Here are the questions you need to answer for yourself this year:</p>

<p>1) How much financial need to I have? (Talk to your parents)
2) Do I prefer a location that is urban/suburban/rural?
3) What part of the country? Weather? How close to home?<br>
4) What kind of culture do I like? Artsy, intellectual, jock, frat, preppy, granola, quirky, intense vs. laid back, etc...
5) Are there deal-breakers? Single sex? Tech? (I assume religious is out since you are keen on gay friendly.)</p>

<p>Talk to your parents about their expectations. They know you and have your best interests at heart and will be expected to pay for at least some of your education, so listen up.</p>

<p>As you know, your PSAT score is a low for a school like Vassar-but that's not surprising since you were only a 10th grader when you took it and you probably didn't do much practicing. Assuming your A- GPA reflects your abilities accurately, you should be able to bring it up significantly. That will have an impact on where you can expect to successfully apply and whether you will be eligible for scholarships.</p>

<p>Check the Colleges that Change Lives list.
<a href="http://www.ctcl.org/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.ctcl.org/&lt;/a>
How about St. Olaf's (MN), Denison (OH) or Allegheny (PA)?</p>

<p>thanks very much for your advise. As I said before, I'm new to the whole college search process, and, as a single child, so are my parents. so thanks for the tips!</p>

<p>Is there even one person ever who has applied to both Vassar and St.Olaf? Just wondering.</p>

<p>Holy Cross, Trinity, Bucknell.</p>

<p>bryn mawr, if you're a girl. hampshire if you're either sex.</p>