Colleges with strong cores

<p>Hi there,
I'm a rising hs junior and I'm looking into colleges with strong cores.
I know that Columbia is famous for its core and it's my top choice, but it's definitely a reach school for me (and just about everyone else, haha!) so I'm trying to find a couple of other schools that are similar in curriculum. </p>

<p>So far the only one I've found is UChicago, so if anyone knows of any other schools with strong cores (preferably ones that would be more of a match for me) that would be great. </p>

<p>Thanks a ton!</p>

<p>lol, you got the mentality my kid had, that she wanted to go to a hardcore school with intellectual students. And she was good overall at all subjects. She thought she would do science, even though she was better in English. But she chose Brown over Chicago in the end. She did not get a well rounded education, but she got a fabulous experience she wouldn't trade for anything. Keep thinking. She is in a PhD program now, in Computer Science Theory. She started in Physics.</p>

<p>When I was researching colleges, Whitman College came across as having a great core course:</p>

<p>Whitman</a> College First-Year Experience</p>

<p>If you are a woman, Scripps College has a Humanities Core Curriculum. Actually, it has a Core even if you're not a woman ;) !</p>

<p>BrownParent, I will definitely take what you said into consideration although I believe your daughter's reasons for applying to UChicago may have been different than mine. Coming from a low-income family I have often not been able to talk to my relatives about different areas of interest I have (ex. literature, history, numismatics), and I hope that by going to a school with a strong core I will be surrounded by students who have an interest in being well-rounded and I'll be able to converse with them.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the suggestions so far, and I really like Scripps. I hadn't realized that there was a college in California with a core! By the way, I am a women but by all means feel free to post all-male schools so this thread can be of use to everyone.</p>

<p>Anymore suggestions? (Bump)</p>

<p>St. Johns College has more than just a strong core- it is ALL core. The only major is pretty much the classics. The original campus is in Annapolis, Maryland, but there is another one in the Southwest. There are also a few Catholic schools that have a strong core in the classics combined with early Christian theology (Aquinas, etc). Shimer College is pretty much all core, too. At most good liberal arts colleges, you should have plenty of classmates who want to discuss things, and at a small school, you will know them well. At a relatively small school, many students that you know will be enrolled in the same classes. To me, that is as good as a core.</p>

<p>Even among schools with Cores, the actual courses and texts can differ greatly. Chicago and Columbia both enacted their core curricula around the same time and were heavily influenced by John Dewey, but whereas Columbia's Core is more Great Books, Chicago's focuses more on the Great Conversation.</p>

<p>So take a deep look at what specifically goes in each of the Cores that you're looking for. Student tour guides are great for stuff like this; ask them what kind of texts they read, what kind of discussions were involved, what they got out of their Core classes, etc.</p>

<p>Thanks, OneMom, I hadn't considered that! I think that St. Johns might be too religiously affiliated for me (as an atheist), but I took a look at Shimer College and it looks great. I especially like the fact that they're using a curriculum based off of UChicago, but I think I might feel limited by the majors (3) they have, since I'm hoping to double major in English and then something more "practical". </p>

<p>I will definitely be checking out more liberal arts colleges, that's a great suggestion. Thanks again!</p>

<p>
[quote]
Chicago and Columbia both enacted their core curricula around the same time and were heavily influenced by John Dewey

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Chicago and Columbia do share a common history in developing Core curricula and in exploring the Great Books approach. John Dewey was a faculty member of both schools (first at Chicago in the 1890s, then at Columbia for decades). However, I don't think it is historically accurate to say he heavily influenced the Core curriculum concept. As I understand it, his philosophy was rather antithetical to the Great Books program and to the Core idea. The origins of these approaches generally are attributed to Columbia professor John Erskine.</p>

<p>The</a> Great Ideas</p>

<p>But I agree it is a good idea to take a deep look at what students are getting out of these programs at each school, and to compare the Core approach to other approaches such as the Open Curriculum at Brown. </p>

<p>By the way, St. Johns (the Great Books college in Annapolis and Santa Fe) has no religious affiliation.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I stand corrected. I blame it on too many names floating around in the head; thanks Core Curriculum :).</p>

<p>An interesting, if at times narrow-minded, examination of Chicago's Core as it stands today: The</a> University Of Chicago - What's Been Lost</p>

<p>Thanks for sharing that, Rny2. I've read Donald Levine's Powers of the Mind and highly recommend it to anyone interested in how the Core curriculum evolved at Chicago, or to anyone else who just wants to explore issues in undergraduate curriculum design.
(<a href="http://books.google.com/books?id=ANIu90rUtrwC&dq=levine+powers+of+the+mind&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=VwpUTLL6AYKB8gaxrO21BA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCAQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://books.google.com/books?id=ANIu90rUtrwC&dq=levine+powers+of+the+mind&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=VwpUTLL6AYKB8gaxrO21BA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCAQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false&lt;/a&gt;)&lt;/p>

<p>tk21769: Thanks for pointing out my mistake about St. Johns; I just googled it the first time around and I mistook it for the first link (it's really the third!). </p>

<p>I will definitely take another look at the Open Curriculum at Brown, and I'll try to find out more about what students are getting out of the program. I don't think I'll be able to afford a trip to Chicago and/or New York, but I plan on posting a thread on the Chicago/Columbia boards. Thanks for the suggestions and the links.</p>