Brandeis- DOWN and OFF THE LIST
This one hurt. As an observant Jewish family trying to navigate the campus culture for Jewish students at various schools during these times, Brandeis looked great on paper- 35% Jewish students, campus outside of Boston with a commuter train stop on campus, “Goldilocks” not too small not too big size- but it wasn’t meant to be.
Driving up to the school the initial impression was that it was not an attractive campus at all- but sometimes you are approaching the campus from a different direction and the “parking lot view” doesn’t equal the “pedestrian view”. We were somewhat relieved to see a beautiful admissions center.
The admissions center is modern and the staff was welcoming. It was exciting to see displays regarding the brand new dorm complex being built and the new Jewish center also being constructed on campus. You got the sense that things are happening on the campus and that exciting developments are in progress.
Our tour guide was super nice and knowledgeable. He was unfortunately 180 degrees opposite my son in terms of personality and interest- but my son is pretty good by now in not letting that influence his opinions on the school- sometimes it just happens that way.
I’m going to be blunt- we thought the campus was ugly. Some buildings were more attractive than others. We walked in some buildings that were so old and outdated and in need of TLC that I would have been disappointed if this was a high school I was looking at for my kid. I was shocked- although glad the tour did let us see the school “warts and all”. They had these outdoor patio seats that highlighted the worst of 1970s design and they were everywhere (iykyk). It just added a depressing feeling which isn’t what you should get on a beautiful sunny day in the summer.
My son also felt that Brandeis felt like “just a school”. According to him there wasn’t anything that stood out to distinguish it from other schools- no unique features, no fun traditions, no “hooks” or special offerings. Nothing special about curriculum or course offerings. I realize now that he’s right in the sense that even after visiting I cant remember much about the school except sizable Jewish population and location just outside Boston- which is what I knew before the visit.
Glad we visited. Off the list and on to the next school….