color printers

<p>I have a great laser printer that I use that just does black and white. It is fast, fairly quiet and prints great.
My junior high D has a color photo type inkjet printer by Epson.About 3 yrs old. I am pretty sure we got it free with some purchase. She does lots of reports where she likes to insert graphics and photos. She is midway through her first long paper of about 15 pages. Rough draft turned in final due in a few weeks. The printer needs INK. Go to Staples- this printer needs 6 different colors. Each at around 15 dollars. Doesn't seem reasonable to replace the ink when it is as expensive as a brand new printer.
What printer do you recommend? I don't want to spend much. I do want one that the black is a true black. We don't need a fax or scanner. She occasionally prints on photo paper but not often</p>

<p>Color laser printer, may be? I heard the prices have come down on the lasers. We have HPs inkjets at home and they all come as all-in-one nowadays. H bought the latest one from Costsco with Vivera (sp?) cartridges ($90 for the printer), and the black ink does come as a separate cartridge. The only problem is if you do not print color for a while, you might still need to replace the color ones due to the ink drying out.</p>

<p>My daughter likes her Canon. I don't know the model but she paid around $100.</p>

<p>I use older HP 9XX or 612X printers because of the large cartridge size. Ink capacity is 3x-4x that of high speed ink printers. I need for color for primarily text high light and border work. Since the refills for the larger cartridges cost the same as the smaller cartridge, I get more value.</p>

<p>We have a HP Color LaserJet 2600n that we hate, so I am interested in responses here as well.</p>

<p>We just bought a HP j5780 colot printer/copier,scanner/fax to replace our 12 year old Epson laser printer which died. It is a very nice machine that delivers relatively high quality output. But the main reason we bought it was the low cost of printing if you buy the large ink cartridges made for it. The per page cost is about half of other printers I looked at.</p>

<p>I hated the fact that the inkjet ink wasn't waterproof. I also got really, really tired of unclogging nozzles. So I replaced the Epson with an Okidata color laser jet. I've got mixed feelings about it. Quality is wonderful for charts and graphs. Mixed for other things. Photos and scans of watercolors don't look as good as they did on the inkjet. On the otherhand, most of the photoshopped graphics my son works on seem to look wonderful, so maybe the problem is more with me or my scanner than the machine. Cartridges are quite pricey and I have to replace them more often than I would have thought, though in general less often than the machine indicates - if you give the cartridges a shake they'll generally last quite a bit longer.</p>

<p>This is probably a stupid question, but here goes...</p>

<p>Can a color laser printer be used for printing color photos?</p>

<p>If yes, do you need to use a different type of paper than you use on color ink jets?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Cartidges should be available for much less when purchased together. I usually buy at Costco, but there are numerous online options. You will have the same situation with a new printer.</p>

<p>I have a magicolor 2500 color laser printer. Fast and the cartridges are pricy but last months and months. You can buy just the one color you're out of. Prints photographs well, even on cheap paper.</p>

<p>Yes you can print photos, though I tried printing something on what was probably a glossy laser jet paper that smeared horribly and made a mess of the machine for a while.</p>

<p>I've had a few Epson all-in-one printers - the type with 4 cartridges, 3 color and one B&W. There's a setting where you can force it to print black ink only which we use a lot - primarily to save money on buying the color cartridges. This is a good feature to look for in ink jet printers. Some, like a low-end HP I bought don't have it (I returned that printer because of it). It prints photos okay but we usually have our photos printed elsewhere - by Kodak via the internet. The printers with 6 cartridges are usually designated 'photo printers'. The primary reason we have Epson is because of the ink they use. They have long-lasting waterproof type inks that work well for printing pictures on fabric that my W then includes in quilts she makes. I actually researched then tested the inks from Epson, HP, and Canon and Epson's were clearly the best.</p>

<p>I'm not happy with Epson though. They seem to break too readily and then need to be replaced with a new one. If it wasn't for the ink properties I'd probably buy another brand. </p>

<p>My Ds each have HP all-in-ones. One of them is okay and the other one isn't. It's never worked correctly, was sent back to HP for repair where they sent us another one that also doesn't work right.</p>

<p>The problem is these ink-jet printers are just built too cheaply nowadays and are mere carriers for the ink these companies want to sell.</p>

<p>I've had good luck with HP B&W laser printers but haven't tried the cheap color ones.</p>

<p>I wish I had a good recommendation but I don't. Good luck.</p>

<p>Has anyone tried the new Kodak printers? They crow about their big selling point--much cheaper ink cartridges.</p>

<p>^^ No, but I feared using "refill" cartridges because Dell (mfr of my computer/printer) puts the fear of g*d into you about using non-Dell cartridges, and I'd heard worries about spills etc.</p>

<p>However, when a friend went into that business, I started using them. Cheaper by a HUGE margin than branded cartridges, they pick up and deliver, even though I am small potatoes. Work great, I see no issues. Don't know if I'm supposed to mention the brand here, but why not? Cartridge World (is that a national co.?)</p>