Common App Short Answer

<p>I've been struggling over this one for a while... feedback is definitely necessary.</p>

<p>As a shallow water lifeguard, over 1700 people a day rely on me to do my job correctly. While I am on duty, one mistake can be the difference between life and death. This tremendous responsibility has taught me to take the time to do things properly the first time around both at work and otherwise. I am also expected to recognize and respond to problematic situations, be prepared to swim to a guest’s rescue, and be knowledgeable enough to answer any questions that may arise. Every time I reunite a lost child and parent, assist a confused guest, or prevent a tragedy, I experience a totally new level of satisfaction I hope to reach in other aspects of my life. Lifeguarding has given me the confidence to realize I truly can make a difference; I can change somebody’s day, sometimes even their life. </p>

<p>Word Count: 144/150</p>

<p>From a first glance, it's rather uninspired in terms of structure.
Lifeguarding is this. It does that.</p>

<p>Instead of devoting so much of your word count to what lifeguarding is, it'd be better if you described more pointedly/specifically how lifeguarding changes you. I wasn't moved by "a totally new level of satisfaction". What's that? Why do you receive this satisfaction?</p>

<p>Other than the slight lack of specification (not much you can do about that 'cause it's 150 words) it shows great potential.</p>

<p>Can I PM you mine if you don't mind?</p>

<p>Go for it. =) Thanks for the feedback.</p>

<p>YGPM 10char</p>

<p>I completed my short answer on the common app and it continues to come up with an error. It says 150 words, 750 characters. Mine is 137 words and 737 characters - keeps saying 750 characters is the limit. Any ideas?</p>

<p>The characters include spaces. I had the same issue; on word, look at the Characters(with spaces) line.</p>