Community College starting off

<p>I've just started attending Columbus State Community College here in Ohio. I kind of started late on looking and applying to different places and my wanting to apply to places in more interesting areas hurt the time it took also. I was accepted at a private college in hawaii among some local colleges too but it was late to attend at any of them in the Fall. So I decided to start off here so I wasn't sitting around the house alone all day and at the same time getting college credits in. I also think that attending the local colege will help in the long run in that I'm not plunging myself into a place that is far away or larger. It helps me to get used to the college atmosphere without feeling like I'm stuck there.</p>

<p>One of the main things that I want to do is to study abroad and this college doesn't have that program. So I know that I want to transfer over at some point to a place that I like and be in interesting places other than downtown Columbus. Do you think that this way of starting off is good and will help me?</p>

<p>I have a great schedule as far as being a full-time college student. Only 3 classes, English, Algebra, and a Freshman Seminar held 2 hours a week as an elective. I've never really had control of a car during the day before but now I do considering my mom works downtown and I just pick her up later on which is good. That also helps me feel like I'm not stuck in one place anymore (that's how I've felt for the last 3 years).</p>

<p>Later on in life I am not sure on what "I want to be". I've always said that I don't know what I want to be, I know what I don't wan't to be. I don't want to be the typical person who gets up at 5 in the morning just to drive 40 miles to a boring 8-5 cubicle and watch the clock. I'd love to be somewhere interesting. I keep worrying that starting at a Community College somehow inhibits that even though that's not true.</p>

<p>Oh and I also practiced with the school's soccer team last week but found out that they had been practicing for 2 months straight befoe I found that they even had a team at all. So I don't know if that will work right now for me but as with the 8-5 cubicle mumbo jumbo, it doesn't mean I'm done playing soccer.</p>

<p>So anyways like I said, do you think starting off this way is good? </p>

<p>Thanks for reading!</p>

<p>I have been told that it is never too late to start afresh, CC is just a stepping stone to what you want to do with your life. After two years you can transfer to a 4 year college. </p>

<p>I think a lot of people are not sure of what they want to be when they initially enter college, but after taking a lot of classes in college they will finally find an interest. Good luck with everything.</p>

<p>I suggest taking a look at the transfer forum, you'll find more insight from people who are actually in community colleges.</p>

<p>That said, there's nothing wrong with it. I did CC because I was really over high school by 10th grade and stopped caring and decided to take CC classes that were more interesting. Also, because I knew I wanted to go to UCLA for sure and that it would be impossible straight out of high school. </p>

<p>Ended up doing 3 years of CC (including the year I did simultaneously in high school) and transferred to UCLA last year with honors. Am now graduating after this year at UCLA, have a paid internship in the field I want to go into, and don't feel bad about taking the path that I did. </p>

<p>Take your time at CC to figure out what you want to do (since you're going to need to do pre-major preperation). You don't need to do it right away, but you should have a decent idea by the time you transfer. Also, be serious about transferring. The vast majority of kids at my CC floundered for in upwards of 5 years because they didn't take the school seriously and they dropped a ton of classes constantly and they failed. Realize that Community College IS still college and that it will be on your record, and also realize that the sooner you succeed at your CC the sooner you'll get out of there. Take control of your transfer plan.</p>