I’m going to start community college this fall here in California and am planning to apply to UCLA, UCB, Cal Ploy SLO and few private selective LACs (Williams, CMC etc) I know that admissions are very competitive. So I have a few questions to all of you who may have some experience. Also, as a side note, I am interested in Economics (major) and minor in philosophy or English. The community college I plan to attend either DeAnza or Foothill college. I attended a super competitive public high school. My unweighted GPA in high school is 3.5 and the one SAT score I have is 1300 (couldn’t attempt further due to covid cancellations)
- I am committed and very much interested in taking honors courses.
- How do I make my application strong to have a shot at selective LACs? What kind of extracurricular activities, leadership activities did the previous admitted students undertake ? what will look favorably ?
- I do not qualify for financial aid, and not a first generation college student. I am an Asian male.
- When is a good time to transfer to college, so my high school GPA and SAT are no longer taken into consideration?
- Does one need to do research while in CC to make a strong app?
- Do you have any advice for a freshman going into a community college for economics?
I’d appreciate any other tips you have, especially regarding my major.