Companies that do consulting work for Universities

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I recently heard of a company that does consulting work for Universities or companies related to Universities. This is different an admission consultant. </p>

<p>I had never heard of such a company before. They do something related to the Universities communication, etc. Has anybody every heard of something like this before. What does such a company do? Are the useful?(i.e. Why would a University every hire high priced consultants?) Any examples in the US or abroad? </p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I work at a university. We hire consultants occasionally. After our IT director was fired we hired an IT consulting company who is currently providing both IT consulting and an interim IT director. Their expertise is in higher education IT.</p>

<p>Our Enrollment Management office hired a consultant to assist with marketing/communication strategies for prospective students.</p>

<p>Basically, an outside entity is often able to provide a perspective that is more welcome than if the idea came from someone already there, plus if they work with several universities they have might have more expertise. Their consulting fee is often cheaper than the cost of hiring an employee, training, etc.</p>

<p>Thanks for the response....</p>

<p>
[quote]
Their consulting fee is often cheaper than the cost of hiring an employee, training, etc.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I never would have expected this. Why do you think this is true? I truly don't know much about this.</p>

<p>Do these education consulting companies ever get involved when some lab's research might be turned into a company?</p>

<p>My uncle, a retired ex cop with a PhD, is a security private consultant for several small private colleges. He designs and coordinates security and emergency systems for the schools.</p>

<p>CSU as a whole hires a lot of outside consultants to do IT programming, especially when they are converting systems, new databases and major upgrades. They need outside help for skills the employees do not posses. The do not want hire those as permanent, because when budget cuts come, all the consultants are gone. I think the UC system does that as well.</p>

<p>A past employer of mine did employee benefits consulting for colleges/universities. I imagine schools use consultants, for many of the same reasons that other types of businesses and organizations do, as well as for some specialized functions.</p>

<p>I also met a lady whose NY consultancy does branding for many large universities, for instance, they helped Stanford create its master plan.</p>

<p>Do these education consulting companies ever get involved when some lab's research might be turned into a company?</p>