Companies with Good Reputation for Housing?

<p>Can anyone recommend some companies that they have had a good experience with leasing an apartment? I've been reading quite a bit of awful reviews online about creepy/mean/lazy managers..</p>

<p>Bump, cuz I'm also interested in this!
@fl1p1npr1d3, where are you reading reviews?</p>

<p>Most apartments available tend to be found on craigslist and have a variety of managers.</p>

<p>Your best bet is to shop around and get a feel for managers. Trust your gut feelings about the managers.</p>

<p>I checked reviews on Yelp!, Yahoo Local, the Better Business Bureau for the Berkeley area, Facebook, etc. Whenever I saw a listing I was interested in, I googled the owner/property management team for whatever info I could find. You can also check property records. For some reviews, I sent a message to the poster asking if there was any change to the positive/negative experience they had reported with a particular property mgmt company.
In some cases, bad property managers had changed company names more than once but were continuing bad business practices.</p>

<p>I was surprised that some companies with really negative reviews had good reviews on the Better Business Bureau website because people hadn't reported them to the BBB.</p>

<p>This is a link for a helpful article in East Bay Express:
How</a> to Find an Apartment in the East Bay | Insider's Guide | A Directory For Newcomers and Visitors | Oakland, Berkeley, Bay Area & California</p>

<p>I found a lot of listings on craigslist. However, 3 of these turned out to be scams with similar stories: owner was a minister going on a mission to Africa and was renting their fully furnished apartment for below market value because it was more important to them to find "the right person" who would care for their property while they were out of the country. It turns out this is a known scam! Some links to help detect rental scams:</p>

<p>FBI</a> — Online Rentals Scam
Rental</a> Scams Quiz: Are you getting into a rental scam?
Tips</a> to Avoid Scams Rental Scam Information – Protecting the Public from Rental Scammers</p>

<p>You can also tell something about the property by how it's kept up on the outside. Try talking to current tenants to see if they're happy with mgmt. </p>

<p>I signed up for CalRentals thru the UCB housing webpage, paid $20-25 for joining but then found it wasn't useful. There were very few listings. Craigslist had the most postings, also try Facebook marketplace, CalLoop, Google, etc.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>