Competing With My Buddy

<p>My friend and I are the best students in our small class of 30 students. We applied to a bunch of the same schools, including Yale, Dartmouth, Duke, Middlebury, Harvard and maybe another I forget. I was wondering, since we are from such a small class, are we competing for a spot at each of these schools? Also, his grandfather was a tenured professor at Dartmouth and Yale, how much will this help?</p>

<p>No, or at least school's will publicly claim that there isn't a set quota. From what I've seen, I'd believe them. This is a little haphazard, but I know that all three students who applied to uchicago from my school got in. I was in your same position, because the other two had ridiculous SAT scores (one had a 2400). Last year, 9 students were admitted to Duke (my graduating class is around 60 students). So, no, I don't think you're necessarily competing with other students from your school. The grandfather may help your friend, however, especially if that grandfather has made noteworthy contributions to research/ promotion of the school's overall name.</p>

<p>I think some schools have regional admissions officers, so one officer might be reading every applicant from your district. In that case, I think the accomplishments of one student would be placed in view of the accomplishments of another (i.e. did the person utilize the opportunities). But this is just my theory.</p>

<p>I don't think Duke (or others) game that way--much. FWIW, Duke admitted every early applicant from Andover this year (all 7 of 'em).</p>

<p>I know exactly what you mean Howard, except the circumstances for me are slightly different. I come from a class of about 300, and we had 1 guaranteed admit (named one of the top 350 applicants this year), an almost certain admit (no likely letter, yet very very qualified), me (an early decision admit), a friend of mine who may be in the process of being recruited due to his role within his church, and a friend of mine who scored a 1600/2380. Including myself, three or four admits are seemingly guaranteed. We haven't had 4 students accepted to Duke since god knows when. I have not even mentioned my best friend yet. He has very good service based extracurriculars, he does an outstanding amount of work on the behalf of others, but he lacks a really strong hook...Its difficult to say. His SATs aren't that great and I'm not sure about his essays. Overall, I think his application may have been lacking, yet I think if his application had not been clouded out by the other applications from my school, he would have stood a good chance. As someone who has already been accepted to Duke, I feel like I am a part of the reason why he may not be accepted. It's been rather difficult for me and my friend because we both know this may be part of the equation.</p>

<p>Wow thats rough, and with me and my friend, we have very similar grades and I have a 34 ACT he has 33. We both have stellar recommendations. We work at the same place for the same amount of hours during the week lol. The only thing I think I have on him is that I am a three sport varsity athlete (not recruited), editor of newspaper and a couple other things that he doesn't do, but I don't know what will happen. I hope we both get in.</p>

<p>There will be some comparations between similar candidates, but there's no quotas. Good luck 7pm!</p>