Complicated Situation, help please

<p>I am going to Berkeley as an in-state resident (lived in California all my life)</p>

<p>My parents are divorced. My dad, whom I live with, is moving to North Carolina. My mom is moving from my city to Long Beach. Both are moving when I go to college.</p>

<p>I listed my address for my SIR as my dad's address, and was approved as an in-state resident.</p>

<p>But, since he is moving I can't change my address to his. So my address is now going to be my moms. Should I change this now?</p>

<p>Another thing, I am now going to be listed as dependent via my mom rather than my dad (when taxes come around next year). </p>

<p>Should I change my address and stuff now, or should I wait until next year?</p>

<p>I think you're ok as far as residency even if your custodial parent moves out of California. </p>

Parent of Minor Moves from California. If the California resident parent(s) of an eligible minor moves from California, the minor will be entitled to resident classification as long as the minor enrolls full-time in a California public post-secondary institution within one calendar year of the parent's departure, and remains physically present in California. This classification will continue until the minor has attained the age of majority and has resided in California for the minimum time required to become a resident. The financial independence requirement does not apply in this case.


<p>Establishing</a> California Residence for Tuition Purposes, Office of the Registrar</p>

<p>Who claims you on their taxes should be irrelevant.</p>

<p>If your mail goes to your father's address, will it be forwarded to North Carolina? Will you be spending summers in NC or with your mother in Long Beach? The quote above implies that you need to stay in the state, although how strict that is might be open to interpretation.</p>

<p>I'll be spending summer in California, but I definately want to visit my dad of course. But it would never be for more than weeks at a time. I will spend the majority of time down here in California</p>

<p>By the way, sorry for double post, but thank you.</p>

<p>What would be the problem of changing your address to your mom's address?</p>