Computer Games

<p>My son is graduating highschool this year and was planning on attending A&M this fall. However, computer games have been a huge battle his senior year and his grades reflect this fact. Without supervision I'm concerned he will play computer games and fail out of A&M. Are there any limits on the A&M internet? Can he attend school without his laptop? Any other advice?</p>

<p>A concerned parent.</p>

<p>Well there aren't any limits on A&M's internet besides the usual P2P & sharing/downloading torrents stuff. Ethernet connection for most dorms besides the only wireless dorm being Mosher. And yes, he can attend school without his laptop. There are many computer labs on campus that he could use if he didn't have/bring a computer. Though a lot of students choose to bring their laptops to take notes and go Facebooking during class and other fun stuff lol. Your son probably had the effects of Senioritis, so maybe that is why he's been playing a lot of games. I'm sure he'll be fine once he gets to A&M.</p>

<p>Hout - that's tough. Hopefully it was a case of senioritis - and hopefully he has learned. However, your son is going to be on his own and he will have control over his own self. You wont even be able to see his grades unless he gives you permission. It is sink or swim time for your son, we parents throw them out there and hope they swim. It is tough, and lots of kids don't make it. Texas A&M average freshman retention is 92%.
Best of luck.</p>

<p>I echo klparker312's sentiments. It's time to throw him in the deep end of the pool.<br>
Your son does not need to bring a computer to college. There are plenty of computer labs with plenty of computers. This advice came from the IT director at one of the parent/student sessions. A laptop is a convenience. My son refused a laptop, and is happy with a desktop and a large screen.
A reasonable suggestion would be to send him with a cheaper laptop, or better yet, a cheap desktop that has limited graphics capability. It won't stop him form using a buddy's xbox in the next room.
TAMU actually is pretty respectful about parental wishes to view grades. Your son will need to sign the appropriate waiver(s), but they make those documents available and call your attention to them during the parental sessions.<br>
Most other colleges lecture you about respecting privacy, forgetting that you are footing the substantial bill.</p>

<p>The ONLY way for a parent to see the students grades is if the STUDENT ok's and sets it up for you to see the grades. A&M will not allow it otherwise.</p>

<p>There's an easy solution to the requirement for your student to give you permission to see his/her grades. It's called, "you give me access, and then I'll write your tuition check." :)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That one worked quite well for my parents back when they were still paying.</p>

<p>If he's living on campus with a roommate, chances are good that:</p>

<p>-His roommate won't put up with him playing games all the time.
-The A&M dorm life is very active, and he will likely make many friends and want to hang out with them instead.
-He will realize that college isn't high school, and if he wants to survive his classes he can't spend 10 hours a day playing games.</p>

<p>gxgal7 -<br>
this statement:"TAMU actually is pretty respectful about parental wishes to view grades" is simply not true. A&M wont give access to student records uless the student is under 18. It is the law and A&M respects the law. The student has to give access to the parent not A&M.</p>

<p>klparker, I didn't make the statement, "TAMU actually is pretty respectful about parental wishes to view grades." Desilu did.</p>

<p>And I was saying in my post to tell your "child" to give you access or no check, not A&M.</p>

<p>I was just trying to be funny. Guess it didn't work. (Although I do have complete access to my son's Howdy page through his private permission. We never had to go through signing anything for that trust between the two of us.)</p>

<p>I'm sorry gxgal7. I didn't intend on that post sounding like you made the statements. I do know you did not make that statement. I was making a statement about that statement.
Trust is good between you and your son. I have that with my daughter. But I know many who do not and A&M is not going to be on the side of the parent.<br>
The over 18 law is kinda sucky in the fact that my daughter could be laying in a hospital bed 3 hours away and if not for the paperwork I have on file, the hospital could not tell me what the problem is with her. Parents pay for their kids education and they cannot learn their kids grades or their kids schedule without permission from their kids.
I do apologize - I did not intend what so ever to point that statement to you. I just wanted Desilu to know that A&M will not release any information to parent about the student unless authroized to do so by the student.</p>

<p>No problem, klparker. Just wanted to clarify if there was a misunderstanding.</p>

<p>I remember well when I attended A&M in the 80s that my parents got a copy of my grades mailed to them every semester. Times have changed!</p>

<p>I stand by my original statement. I think it's clear that student authorization is required by law, and there is no getting around it. However, I did a poor job of making the following point: If a parent is aware before the semester starts that a "grade release" form is available and easy to execute, then it should be fairly easy to make sure it's on file long before access to grades become sensitive. </p>

<p>"TAMU actually is pretty respectful about parental wishes to view grades. Your son will need to sign the appropriate waiver(s), but they make those documents available and call your attention to them during the parental sessions. "</p>

<p>agreed, with appropriate documentation, A&M is respectful about parental wishes to view grades....<br>
A&M will respectually tell you to have your student set you up a parental account on Howdy, where you can see class schedule and grades at anytime you wish to view them.</p>

<p>Thoughts from a current student about some of this stuff:</p>

<p>I had a long life story typed up but here is the brief one: I spent almost all my free time in high school playing video games (10 hour/day weekends not uncommon). I came here determined to have a social life, and found one because I was willing to try some things I would have never thought I would enjoy. I love it here at A&M, more than anywhere else, have a ton of friends, and only play video games during boring summer days such as today. There are kids who play video games all day here during the regular semesters but there's no excuse to be one of those people if you don't want to be. You just have to be willing to try new things and make friends here. It's pretty easy, even for an introverted person like me.</p>

<p>About grades: As a way to spite my parents who told me all through high school I would screw up and fail because of video games, I didn't give them permission to see my grades. I told them they would have to trust me. I knew I had to keep a 3.5 or I would be in huge trouble. (I have about $64,000 of scholarships depending on keeping the 3.5.) I guess I didn't have any real reason to deny them access, besides just being annoyed by their general nagging at me all through high school. I think for the most part though they understood where I was coming from. For me college was/is about leaving behind my old life entirely and starting anew, working only for myself to achieve whatever it is that I want (which are not necessarily all the things my parents think I should be trying to achieve.) And while I do appreciate my parents helping pay for it, my college experience is about me. I take it seriously and feel like I'm the only person I should have to answer to. My mid-term grades last semester were pretty much straight B's, and the last thing I would've wanted was my parents harping on me all semester. I knew what I had to do to correct it and did so during finals time. (Made a 3.75 last year overall as a biochemistry major.)</p>

<p>So yeah, either way I have this enormous pressure to succeed with the consequence being having to go to them and tell them that I lost a few tens of thousands of dollars. (Not to mention the consequences of having a lower GPA when applying for jobs or grad school or whatever... but that is minuscule in my mind compared to having to go to my parents and tell them I screwed up, and that it would cost them.) But I don't have THEM pressuring me too. At least not in any specific sense. I don't think they even know what my GPA was for last year, haha. I guess it just depends on how seriously you're planning on taking college. I mean, I did (probably more than) my fair share of partying on the weekends last semester, but during (most) weekdays I did schoolwork, didn't skip class, took notes, studied, etc., and turned out fine more or less. It's all about being mature enough to set aside anywhere from 5-10+ hours to study for a given test and balance that with other stuff that's going on. This applies to the video games thing too. I could get away with playing video games for 6+ hours a day as long as I attended class, did my homework, and studied for 5-10+ hours for each test. But that's no way to go through college.</p>

<p>If anyone reading this has any questions about anything I wrote, feel free to shoot me a PM. I'm happy to answer any questions about A&M, college life, video games, etc.</p>

<p>thats what I'm talking about</p>

<p>I was huge into video games throughout all of high school and I played just as much if not more than stbs. </p>

<p>What I'll say is I pulled fine grades through high school so I got away with it, but my first year of college I KNEW I wouldn't be able to afford it, so I got on the ball. I was able to pull myself away from all the games and put my goals of making a 4.0 the year in focus. </p>

<p>The way I saw it was that video games are only good in the short term as they are fun. But in the long run, what do you get out of it? Well you do not earn a degree that is for sure.</p>

<p>I hate to say this but you will not necessarily be able to dictate whether or not he plays video games when he is away at A&M, I'm sure you already know this but he will have to want to succeed and realize that video games will not get him there. But it took me until my senior of high school to realize this, when instead of applying to a 4-year university I sat on my butt and decided to go to a community college (wasn't a bad choice at all though, have developed great study habits).</p>

<p>I know this kind of was off aim a little bit from the original post but now I will address whether or not a laptop is needed for him at A&M. Honestly, a laptop is not a must but it certainly rocks. Instead of having to use the computer labs you can do work at anytime, anywhere.</p>

<p>As I stated earlier, video games just aren't worth it. It took me years to realize it and I am thankful I did before college. I'll even come out and claim I was an ex-video game addict. If your son can weigh in the pros and cons of doing well in college versus playing videogames rock on!</p>

<p>Or you could tell him, "Hey, put the games aside for a couple years and once you've got a degree and have a job you'll be able to get all the games you want!"</p>

<p>P.S - I hope he isn't sucked into WoW :(</p>