Computer Programming

<p>I graduated in 2003 and went to school for only a semester before coming very ill. I am looking to go back to school, but trying to find the right school for what I'm looking is becoming tough.</p>

<p>I am looking for a school to get my bachelor's in a Computer Science field. As a career I want to be in software design, programming, or some sort of networking (like on the database end).</p>

<p>When I graduated high school, I was honor grad with a 3.8 unweighted GPA. I was in all AP classes, but due to test anxiety, I didn't do too great on the ACT. I made a 23 on it, but definitely plan on taking it again since it's been so long.</p>

<p>Anyone have any suggestions for schools? I want it to where when I get my degree, I don't have to guess what I can do with it.</p>

<p>I hope you are aware that a computer science degree is much more complex than 'programming' and that 'programming' is almost an aside. How are you at you maths and how far did you get? To calculus, I, II, III?</p>

<p>But why aren't you returning to the original school? I'm not sure how this works, but does this mean you will be a transfer student? Finding a decent computer science schools isn't hard at all. Even ones that aren't tippy top are good and you will get a good job. State schools are good, what are your state school options? Is there some other reason you find this difficult?</p>

<p>When you take the ACT, go ahead and take the SAT as well. Some people do better than one than the other. I don't know what to say about test anxiety except to read up about how to beat it, it is just in your mind. Since it has been so long spend some time boning up. For SAT, you can get the college board official book and you can take the free tutorial on Khan Academy website for the math side. With your GREAT HS grades, there is no reason you can't do very well. And if you can take 3 of the SAT I's and do well that will help with schools that require it.</p>

<p>You also have not said what you have been doing since 2003/4. It sounds like you have some good opportunities, but maybe confidence issues. I can't begin to suggest schools until you retake tests and address some of these questions. I'm sure more people here can help you, maybe this would have been a great post for the Parent's Board. Good luck and be determined.</p>

<p>Also, you ned to explain how you plan to pay and if finances will be an issue, that affects your options.</p>

<p>I am in Mississippi. I attended the University of Mississippi (aka Ole Miss) the first time, but I'm not sure in comparison to other schools, how great their program is. In high school I got to AP Calculus 1 (that was highest my school offered) and breezed through it. I LOVE math and have always been good at it.</p>

<p>And since then, personal things happening in life prevented me from going back sooner. And I definitely plan to take both tests, because I know for fact I can do better.</p>

<p>I guess I just figured that the degree was like it is with some majors, where the school it comes from is just as important as the degree itself. That's where my hesitation was...</p>

<p>I am not limited to Mississippi. I prefer to either stay in the southeast though or California (big difference I know, but I know the Silicon Valley is there) and that's home to many of the technical companies.</p>

<p>Probably most schools (other than just returning to University of Mississippi) will treat you as a transfer since you already have post-high-school college credit. There may be restrictions such as needing to transfer at the junior level after two years, depending on the school. Your college GPA would be the most important factor for transfer admissions.</p>

<p>University of Mississippi and Mississippi State University both have [url=<a href="http://www.abet.org%5DABET%5B/url"&gt;http://www.abet.org]ABET[/url&lt;/a&gt;] accredited degree programs in computer science, so they should meet a minimum standard of quality. While some top schools in computer science have enough reputation to forego ABET accreditation in computer science, for lesser known schools, ABET accreditation can be used to validate that the degree program meets a minimum standard.</p>

<p>Out of state public schools like San Jose State (which is in Silicon Valley), UC Berkeley and Santa Cruz (which are near Silicon Valley), Virginia Tech, NCSU, Georgia Tech, etc. will cost out of state tuition and are less likely to give good financial aid. A few, like University of Virginia and University of North Carolina, supposedly do offer financial aid to out of state students.</p>

<p>You know a place I'd give some thought to is UNC-Charlotte. Charlotte is a good location with good programming job prospects both there and in research triangle park and it's still in the southeast. UNCC has enough of a non-traditional population that they're likely in a good position to give you the support services you need. I knew a couple of people who graduated from there and they did good work and had good things to say about the computer science program there.</p>

<p>The out of state part isn't a problem at all. Not really worried about the difference in tuition. I had actually looked at GA Tech as well as a few of them from the Silicon Valley. I just didn't want a school that passes the minimum qualifications, but doesn't mean that much because the school isn't a "good school" for that particular field.</p>

<p>And to make matters worse, the "tricky" part of the whole situation is that when I attended school for the semester, it was too late in the semester to get incompletes because I had gotten sick later in the semester. I argued and argued but they basically gave me F's instead of incompletes (why I have no clue) but that's the tricky situation I'm in. The University of Mississippi has like a readmission program after 4 years you can basically start over from scratch without the others being considered, but I figured anywhere else I go, those grades (even though they were so far back), would come back to bite me.</p>