Concurrent High School and Community College Graduation

<p>I posted a lengthy similar question in another thread, but figure I may get some good answers here.</p>

<p>I'll be graduating this spring from both my high school and the local college through dual enrollment in Florida. I'm looking at UF, Georgia Tech, UT, and Purdue. I'll be majoring in aerospace engineering and want to go up to a master's degree. I'll have completed all common pre-reqs for engineering upon graduation with my AA.</p>

<p>I want to know what procedure I should follow in my situation. Do I apply as a freshman or as a junior transfer? How much less time will I spend at the university now that I've gotten the transfer degree?</p>

<p>Link to other thread if you'd like to read it or comment there,
<a href=""&gt;;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I don't think you could apply as a freshman since you have AA already.</p>

<p>You could apply as junior. However, you might need to take a few second year engineering classes, such as, differential equation, physics, material science, statics, and dynamics.</p>

<p>Depending on schools, you might also need to take circuit analysis, thermodynamics, and fuild mechanics.</p>

<p>Of course if you have all these classes in high school / local college, then you really only need two more years to finish the aerospace engineering degree.</p>

<p>I'll complete physics I and II w/ calculus and lab, calculus I, II, and III, and differential equations before transferring. Will the classes like material science, dynamics, and other beginner engineering courses serve as pre-reqs to other engineering courses? I don't want to be stuck in a position where I can only take 9 credit hours because I don't qualify for the more advanced ones yet.</p>

<p>Those are second year engineering classes that you should have before you go on to the third year.</p>

<p>You can take them at the school that you're planning to attend.</p>

<p>Yes. They are the pre-reqs to other more advanced engineering classes.</p>

<p>You done a great job that you graduated from high school with physics, calculus, and differential equations completed. With an associate degree too!</p>

<p>Thank you. I rather enjoyed it as well. I think it not only puts me ahead, but the community college has been more fun to attend and definitely more educational. I've gotten a lot out of the small class sizes, available professors, and relaxed atmosphere. </p>

<p>So just for clarification, do you think I'd graduate in three years with the bachelors degree?</p>

<p>It depends on the school.</p>

<p>I think you could enroll as second year plus. You should talk to the addmission officer of schools that interest you.</p>

<p>It entirely depends on what you want to do. </p>

<p>My friend took all math and science classes with me (he was a high school student) and just enrolled at MIT as a freshman MechE. None of his classes transferred for credit. Check if your CC has an agreement with the schools you're looking into.</p>

<p>Another friend of mine enrolled at UC Riverside and decided to be a freshman rather than a junior. I thought it was kind of stupid on his part (4.0 in community college with an honors program completed) but a 1800 on his SAT's, which severely limited his choices of UC's for a freshman applicant. Probably could've gotten into Berkeley if he just enrolled as a junior.</p>

<p>Most colleges only consider post-HS college coursework as counting towards transfer status. For example, two of the OPs colleges (I didn't look at the other ones, that's their job ;)):</p>

<p>University</a> of Florida - Admissions</p>

<p>Transfer</a> Admission | Admission</p>

<p>OP, the first place you start to find out about this kind of information is the primary source, the college website. And if you don't find the answer to nuts and bolts questions there, or if it is ambiguous, then call the school.</p>

<p>Must be the difference between the schools of North & South:
Interdisciplinary</a> Programs Division

If I take a Dual Enrollment course, will the MCC credits transfer to other colleges? How does that happen?
Most colleges accept MCC credit. You will need to request an official academic transcript from MCC and provide it for the other college. However, you must achieve a grade of C or better (some colleges may require a minimum grade of B) in the course... Your MCC college credit may be applied toward your chosen degree, as an elective, as a substitute for a required course, or make you eligible to take a higher level course.


<p>^Are you referring to my post? If so, we are talking about two different things. </p>

<p>I was replying to this:</p>

Do I apply as a freshman or as a junior transfer?


<p>As either a fr or transfer applicant, colleges can accept credits or give placement for classes taken at a CC while in HS, much like they do for AP courses.</p>

<p>From what I've read for our Florida schools and GT, you would apply as a freshman but list your college courses as credit. Florida's state schools have an agreement to at admit you automatically as and upperclassman with your community college degree also! :)</p>

<p>I'd make contact with someone at the financial aid office to find out which route is most advantageous financially. Good luck & congrats!</p>

<p>I've read through the websites, the problem is that I often get contradicting information in person. I was wondering if I might stumble across someone who for sure knew what they were talking about. Could I contact admissions officers to see what they say?</p>

<p>Of course you can contact the admissions office.</p>