"condemn as being" grammatically incorrect?

<p>if you saw 2 different id the error questions with</p>

<p>1) ...which they "condemn as being tasteless"
2) ..."professional job"...</p>

<p>underlined, would you mark </p>

<p>"condemn as being tasteless" because it could be reduced to "condemn as tasteless"(is "condemn as" an idiom?)</p>

<p>"professional job" because it is redundant? </p>

<p>oh and btw, is "insight into" the only acceptable idiomatic phrase? what about "insight in" or "insight for"?</p>

<p>explanations for these 3 questions==greatly appreciated</p>

<p>1) "condemned as being" is erroneous because of the awkward wording. "condemned as" will suffice.</p>

<p>Yes "condemned as" is an idiom. CB likes to try to trick people with "condemned to be" but that is grammatically incorrect.</p>

<p>2) That doesn't seem redundant. You could have a job and not be a professional. I can't imagine ever seeing "professional paper boy" or "professional garbage man."</p>

<p>"insight into" AFAIK is the only correct one.</p>

<p>thanks man</p>

<p>jamesford, I kinda disagree. I always associated a job with a task (prime example = what a girl gives a guy ;)), paying or not. I always associated professional with one who does a job for money (it is their profession). I like to think of it in the golf context. There are professional golfers (licensed by the PGA) who can't break 100. What makes them professional is that they teach for a living. But, there are also amatuer golfers who don't make anything, but who would consider golfing their job.</p>

<p>Just my two cents. So I also thought it wasn't redundant, but for the exact opposite reason as you. But it may depend on the context. If a sentence was like: the number one rated professional golfer's professional job was to play golf well, then I'd say it is redundant.</p>

<p>It really would depend on the context</p>

<p>For the SAT, I use this rather simple rule of thumb. If the answer has "being" and is not used in the form "human being," it is wrong.</p>

<p>Is being wrong right? Or is being right wrong?</p>