Confused about residency now../ Chances thread

<p>I just read the post below me on the main threads and not really sure where I stand now.</p>

<p>I went to CCC transferred to Rutgers University in NJ and am paying out of state tuition, I am dependent on my parents who live in California. I lived in California my whole life. I applied to UCD and SB in the fall when I was still at community college in California then transferred to Rutgers University. I was pretty sure I was I would be considered an Instate applicant... but now I am not sure. I am a resident of California because I am dependent on my parents correct?</p>

<p>This is not good... I ended up hating Rutgers and I really want to go to UCD now... I have a transferable 3.66 I will 70 credits or so have both general chems done, a semester of calc, and a semester of physics, and I applied for the Microbiology programs for both schools. I am really wondering if I am going to get in because of one, am I considered an out of stater?? and two because I am coming from Rutgers am I no longer considered a CCC meaning I dont reap the benefits of their easy admissions. </p>

<p>Please god give me a some guidance because I am SO lost.</p>

<p>I have completed 79 credits at CCC (a lot were non-transferable)</p>

<p>Yes, you are still a California Resident.</p>

<p>Yeah I am confused too.</p>

<p>UCLA says 428 people applied from "out of state" (to transfer) and then it says 1,168 people applied from "U.S. Schools outside California."</p>

<p>Profile</a> of Admitted Transfer Students, Fall 2011 - UCLA Undergraduate Admissions</p>

<p>Maybe I am reading this wrong but then that must mean some people who applied from "U.S. Schools outside California" must also be California residents. They couldn't be anything else because they are definitely not international students and I really don't think that would be considered studying abroad. </p>

<p>If that is true then that must mean you can go to an out of state school and still be a California resident. Maybe you have to go to high school in California for all four years? Maybe if your permanent residence is still in California? I don't know.</p>

<p>My understanding is that for as long as you are a dependent, they base residency off of your parents. Since your parents are CA residents than you will still be considered a resident.</p>

<p>Your a california resident. </p>

<p>If you are a dependent student (parents claim you on their taxes) you are a resident of where your parents live. </p>

<p>You would have to be an independent student and claim residency in that state (ex. yr lease) in order to be considered for in-state.</p>

<p>this is pretty similar as my situation.
I am a californian, however, since now I am in an OOS four-year.
they consider me as an OOS applicant.</p>

<p>Am I considered an out of state applicant??? Im so screwed if I am...</p>

<p>If you are dependent on your parents (I.E., they can claim you on their tax returns), then you are dependent on them. As such, you assume their residential statuses. In this case, you would be classified for In-State tuition. If you're still worried, call up the UCD/UCSB's financial aid office and ask them. </p>

<p>As for your priority as a CCC student, I think they will consider you an Out-of-State transfer as you are transferring directly from an out of state institution, despite your CCC history. Especially if over half of your units have come from Rutgers. Again, you can call the UC's and double check on this. Might not be such a bad idea because at least then you know you are getting credible information. :)</p>

<p>Correct out of state transfer (academically), but still in state resident (for financial aid purposes).</p>

<p>Most of my units are from CCC I'll only have 13 at rutgers, **** I'm screwed... Back to CCC!</p>

<p>Out of state acceptance rate = what 20-10%...awesome</p>