converting GPA

<p>My D has a 89.475- which i divided by 25(4.0 scale- Is this correct? it would give her a 3.57 if so-</p>

<p>A better way to do this is to look at her transcript and convert all of the grades over 90 to 4 points, all of the grades from 80 - 89 to 3 points and so on. Then add up the points and divide by the number of classes. This is the a fairly typical way to get an unweighted GPA on a 4.0 scale.</p>

<p>The problem with that of course being, if most of the grades are 88 & 89's that works out to a 3.0 the same as if most of the grades were 80 or 81. Huge difference imho.</p>

<p>ldinct - One of the annoying things about 4.0 scale GPAs, but what can you do...</p>

<p>Many 4.0 scales have 3.5 and 3.7 options.</p>

<p>There are many threads on this...some schools include 90% as an A some schools do not. Some colleges count all classes, some eliminate phys ed, etc. Most do differentiate between 3.5, 3.75 etc. etc. Some don't count freshman year, some do. Off the cuff 89% is some sort of high B average, but best to do as the poster suggested, take each grade convert it and divide by the total number of classes. You can look at the unweighted and mentally give it a little boost of there are AP classes or equivalent.</p>

<p>^^ I (obviously) don't know how all HS compute their grades but I think most do not use +/-. We moved across the country many times with the military and grades were always A/B/C, no +/- and no 3.5/3.7. Actually in the school from which my DDs graduated, an A started at 93%. All the other grades also had higher cutoffs.</p>

<p>I actually think A starting at 93 is most common, but I've been "dissed" for that on these forums.</p>

<p>^ Well, I personally have never dissed you (or anyone else) for that, but CC is the only place where I have encountered that idea (a 92 = B+), never in the real world.</p>

<p>The OP's method only works by accident. If a student had a 75 average, that would produce a 3.0 GPA, instead of the 2.0 it ought to be.</p>

<p>My kids' school used grades on a 100-point scale, which was actually more like a 120-point scale give weightings for honors, APs, IBs, etc., and that's how it calculated GPAs. If colleges wanted to convert them to something else, that was their business. Transcripts would also show a letter grade (with pluses and minuses). So in that sense 93 (or 94, I can't remember) is necessary for an A, but a 92 would be an A-.</p>

<p>hlsess: rockvillemom has given general directions on the conversion, but I would suggest seeing whether your daughter's high school gives any equivalences, such as 94-100= A, 93-100 = A, 90-100 = A, etc.</p>

<p>My high school--a long time ago--reported grades in per cents, but also printed a conversion on the report forms, which was:
94-100 = A, 87-93 = B, 78-86 = C, 70-77 = D</p>

<p>QMP's high school also graded in per cents, but converted to letters before issuing the grade reports. However, their conversion scale was:
93-100 = A, 90-92 = A-, 87-89 = B+, 83-86 = B, 80-82 = B-, 77-79 = C+, 73-76 = C, 70-72 = C-, 67-69 = D+, 63-68 = D, 60-62 = D- </p>

<p>At some of the % values, there is quite a difference between the scales. I think the more generous scale is somewhat more common now.</p>

<p>Also, to convert to the 4.0 scale, a convention for A- and B+ is needed. Some set A- = 3.7 and B+ = 3.3, while others use A- = 3.67 and B+ = 3.33.</p>

<p>Just dividing the per cents by 100 definitely does not work! I'd guess that none of the students who are reporting unweighted 4.0 GPA's have unweighted 100% averages!</p>

<p>I believe most NYS schools use numbers because the Regents exams use numbers. At least at our school an A- is 90-94 and an A is 95-100. We never see those letter grades anywhere though. </p>

<p>When I was trying to figure out how colleges would translate our school's grades I used both the school's weighted and unweighted GPA and then my own version of an unweighted GPA that didn't include his orchestra classes (and which brought up his GPA by a lot). I used the conservative GPA to make sure safeties were safe and the most optimistic to determine reaches, more or less.</p>

<p>If you google 4.0 gpa conversion chart you'll come up with lots of possiblities. I used the first one, but not sure I can link it here.</p>

<p>The NYS public schools that I am familiar with upstate use both numbers and letter grades, along with plusses and minuses. The standard up here for an "A" is 93-100. A 90 to 92 gets you an A-. I have no doubt that there are some upstate schools that don't adhere to this "standard." Although I've never heard of an upstate public that required a 95 for an A.</p>

<p>Hi again - the problem with this conversation is that so many hs have different systems and most colleges have their own way of re-calculating GPAs as well - so there is never going to be one right answer. OP - probably your best bet is when you visit a college and attend an info session - ask how they recalculate the hs GPA. You may want to address specifically whether they include only solids and do not count art, music, gym, health, etc. You might also want to ask if they weight grades in honors and AP classes. Once you know their specific methodology - then you can recalculate your D's GPA and determine how she measures up to the accepted GPA on the college's freshman profile or common data set.</p>

<p>thanks-I'll contact the college.</p>

<p>The college is getting her actual transcript. Do you just need a 4-scale GPA to fill in a blank on a form? </p>

<p>Unless this college or your h.s. has specific instructions on how to do this, I would think that you and she should just calculate a 4-scale GPA in a way that seems sensible to you and keep track of how you do it, just in case anyone ever asks how you got it. It's not as if the college won't see her actual transcript with all of her actual grades on it. I think just dividing by 4 makes a GPA that is too low.</p>

<p>(Am I missing some important point?)</p>

<p>It's easy for (even) me to convert a 94 (for example) into a /4.0 number. What I would like to do is be able to convert that 94 into a weighted GPA, which would be, what, out of 5.0? How does the average college, or anyone for that matter, factor in AP and honors courses? I am told there are charts for the 4.0 scale, are there any for a weighted scale? I can't find one at collegeboard.com or links to one at CC.</p>

<p>thanks!</p>

<p>
[quote]
I am told there are charts for the 4.0 scale, are there any for a weighted scale? I can't find one at collegeboard.com or links to one at CC.

[/quote]
I've never seen one. If you've checked out the various "How does your school weight GPA" threads you'll see there seem to be about as many systems out there as there are schools. I really don't think it matters much, but a fairly common system seems to be to add .5 for honors and 1.0 for AP, that's what I do if I wanted to guess a 4.0 weighted GPA. </p>

<p>My impression is that colleges don't actually use weighted GPAs that much. I think they use whatever system the school has sent them. They look at it, they look at the courses a student has taken, they look to see if they have taken a challenging curriculum in the context of the school, they look at rank, or whatever hints the high school has provided about rank, they look to see what grades the student has gotten in the courses they care about, and then they assign the student some sort of academic rating. (At least that's more or less what is described in A for Admissions and an article about the Boston University admissions process that was in the NY Times.)</p>

<p>
[Quote]
but CC is the only place where I have encountered that idea (a 92 = B+), never in the real world.

[/quote]
Well, I'm on CC, but I think I'm also in the real world. Our private school (is that what you meant by "unreal world?") publishes the grading scale on the website, handbook, school profile, and everywhere else.</p>

<p>It is certainly rigorous:</p>

<p>A = 95-100
A- = 93-94
B+ = 91-92</p>

<p>And that's as much as I know by heart, because my D stays above the B+ range, which, as you can see, is pretty tough to do for 4 years of honors and AP classes.</p>

<p>The colleges look closely at this grading scale and give lots of credit to a kid with a 4.3 GPA on this scale. I know because the adcom folks tell us that on our visits.</p>

<p>^^That is why all B+ students are not created equal. You could have a transcript of all B+s that are 91 or 92s and school number one that's a B+ whilte at schools that are liberal and consider 90-93 an A...that at student could shows As. That is legitimate because schools do it, we see it all the time on the forums although I think it's a subtle form of grade inflation. Adcoms see this all the time, too. No big secret. It's also why high schools must put their scales on the profile.</p>

<p>But even the number for a B+ (91-92 vs 87-89 say) tells you much. The real question is how hard or easy the tests are, how likely a teacher is to give out those A's no matter what number is assigned for them. Except for math using the same text books it's really impossible to tell how easy it is to get A's. I read somewhere that when schools switch systems for example to one where it is supposedly harder to get an A most teachers drift to giving out higher numbers so the proportion of A's and B's stays the same.</p>

<p>Ranking or bell curves are really necessary to understand a school's grading system. The numbers tell you nothing.</p>