Convincing parents?

<p>For unlimited texting for one individual phone on AT&T's family plans, it costs $20. For all the lines, it costs $30. I've kinda talked him into possibly investing in the $30 plan, just because it's more practical and since I also have a brother going away for college. </p>

<p>I'm really digging the idea of doing a trial and seeing how many texts I send out - which I can totally monitor on purpose and make sure I'm only sending an innocent 5 a day. :D</p>

<p>
[quote]
Do what I did! Find your parents' SSN(s), call up your provider pretending to be them and switch your plan. Most parents aren't technologically savvy enough to ever notice the $5-$10 change in their bill the following month.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Definitely NOT! That would just shatter the trust that I have between the folks and myself. Besides, what parents AREN'T savvy when it comes to money (or the loss of it)? :) My dad pays the bill and he'll notice if there is a $30 increase in it. Thanks for the thought, however...lol</p>

<p>MM- You gotta learn to pick your battles.
Is texting that important to you?
If so, then ask you Dad for a trial run.
If not, then get used to telling people you meet that you don't send or receive texts so they gotta talk to you.
Life is so hard sometimes....</p>

<p>Haha, thanks for the advice, Batllo. I think in this day and age (especially when taking into account that I'll be a four hour drive from home) having another means of communication matters. It's just practical...if that makes sense. Instead of worrying about missed calls from mom and dad, I can just text them saying "studying, don't call in the next 2 hours because my phone is off." And I know some of you might say oh but you can just call them and tell them that. </p>

<p>No, I can't. Because that one phone call would turn into an hour long conversation. Lol</p>

<p>MM- You call the parents on the way to class so you can only talk a minute or so before you enter the building...bye mom...
Don't forget to pant like you are walking fast.
Works every time.</p>

<p>Understand that most parents are not technological idiots. We know who and when you are txting. There are hours that are allowed. Break the rules and the phone comes downstairs when you are studying and at 11pm. We do not read txts, however we reserve the right to if we think there is a reason to. We did block data/Internet for a number of reasons. No one seems to care.
It is a good way to keep in touch with the kids. For me, it's like leaving a note I know they'll read. If I think of something at 3am, writing them a note may or may not get their attention. They will read txts before work/school.
It is ultimately your parents decision. You do pay for txts others send you. 200/mo goes very
quickly. I would highly advise against getting their personal information to make changes to the account. You will likely find yourself with NO phone at all. Yes, we look at the bill. For AT&T customers, we can also 'ping' your phone to make sure you are where you said you are going to be. Not reasonable for college students, but for hs kids who have a history of lying (or stealing parents ssn's and impersonating them)...</p>

<p>Blueiguana - that's kind of why I am encouraging texting; I know that texting will be like "notes" to my parents. I guess I just gotta see how it plays out.</p>

<p>Any more suggestions?</p>

<p>
[quote]
It's just practical...if that makes sense. Instead of worrying about missed calls from mom and dad, I can just text them saying "studying, don't call in the next 2 hours because my phone is off." And I know some of you might say oh but you can just call them and tell them that.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Texting them * everytime * you plan on being out of your dorm room for a couple of hours? Maybe it's just me, but I think you are assuming that your parents will be way, way too interested in your daily life at school. </p>

<p>A missed phone call here or there is not a problem---they'll make the assumption that you're off studying at the library or in class or out with friends doing things college students do. And if you're really worried about missed phone calls from home, check out whether your dorm has a land-line with voice mail or put an answering machine on the dorm room phone.</p>

<p>If you plan on texting your parents anytime you're worried they might miss getting youon the phone, you may also (inadvertently) be giving your parents way too much de facto permission to call you on your cell at any time just to say "hi" whenever you haven't texted them not too. Do you really want that much contact with home? I know, some students do. And some families do. But daily phone calls and text messages to parents just seems like it's way too excessive to me. </p>

<p>And your parents may not want you filling up their phone with text messages. And they may not even bother reading or noticing the text message before calling you if they're not really into texting, which may be the case since they're worried about you getting addicted to texting.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I'm only sending an innocent 5 a day

[/quote]
Just to make sure you're successful in meeting what you say, I suggest avoiding a fixed number in any agreement you have but if you must have one, pick a higher number - like 50 or something.</p>

<p>I think my mom views texting as a less invasive way to strike up casual conversations with me while I am away. She never, ever calls just to say hi-- but she may text me periodically with a, "hey, whatcha doin?" and we will text a bit back and forth if I am not busy. If I am busy the text will wait for me to answer it when I have a minute. If I have a lot to say or a significant amount of time to chat (my mom and I CANNOT just talk for five minutes, it's not possible) I will call. We both also use it as a way to get messages to each other late at night without disturbing each other. The text tones on both our phones aren't loud enough to wake us, but the message is there when we wake up. Or, more likely, I want to know something at 1am ("QUICK, HOW DO I REMOVE BLOOD STAINS?!") but don't want to call in case she's not awake so I can send a text so she'll get the message if she is and won't be disturbed if she isn't-- which I also do with friends. It is just a really convenient way to keep in touch even when you may not have time for a conversation.</p>