Cornell Health Insurance & Bed Sheets

<p>I just had two questions before I attend Cornell and I wanted to combine it in 1 thread:</p>

<p>1) I'm covered under my parents insurance within NJ (medicaid) and I was wondering if that will be transferable so that I could use it in college. If not is there anyway that financial aid will cover me or will I have to pay the $1700 every year?</p>

<p>2) I understand that the beds at Cornell are Twin XL but I was wondering if I can't find Twin XL will normal twin sheets fit?</p>

<p>In response to #2: Normal twin sheets will be too small. But you should easily be able to find Twin XL sheets in places like Target and Bed Bath & Beyond (take a look at the bedding in the college/dorm section).</p>

<p>interesting question about the medicaid...have never heard of a student being on it. call them up first thing tomorrow!</p>

<p>target and bed bath and beyond will probably not have twin XL if your town doesnt have a college or if your nearest college uses a bedsize that isnt TWIN XL. </p>

<p>i just ordered online...</p>

<p>If I am not mistaken Cornell directs students who are not covered by their insurance to take out additional loans to cover the cost of Cornell insurance. Check the website on this.</p>

<p>Okay will give them a call, but just wondering are most of you guys on Cornell's SHIP or does your own insurance cover you</p>

<p>call Cornell about the insurance - I do know of a student who had a similiar situation and got a waiver. it may take a few phone calls but it will be worth your while to do this.</p>

<p>What department did he call if you din't mind me asking because I've tried FA and SHIP's</p>

<p>did you call and they said no or that they didn't know lol?</p>

<p>
[quote]
1) I'm covered under my parents insurance within NJ (medicaid) and I was wondering if that will be transferable so that I could use it in college. If not is there anyway that financial aid will cover me or will I have to pay the $1700 every year?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>If you want to use your parents' insurance, you will need to check out Cornell's health insurance requirements and then fill out a SHIP waiver if the insurance meets the university's six minimum stipulations.</p>

<p>Student</a> Insurance: Enrollment/Waiver Process</p>

<p>
[quote]
2) I understand that the beds at Cornell are Twin XL but I was wondering if I can't find Twin XL will normal twin sheets fit?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I wouldn't gamble with the wrong sheets. You can check stores like Macy's or look on the Internet.</p>

<p>I have also seen twin XL sheets on Amazon. overstock.com, JC Penney and at Walmart. I also saw them at Tuesday morning for $15 for white ones. You could try the dump and run sale for sheets too but they would be used. The issue will be wiht the bottom/fitted sheet. a twin Xl is 6 " longer than a standard twin. For the top sheet, it really does not matter as they are long anyway so that they can be tucked in.</p>

<p>You should be able to find a new set of Twin XL sheets for $20 or less. Target has a nice fleecy twin xl blanket for 14.99.</p>

<p>
[quote]
just wondering are most of you guys on Cornell's SHIP or does your own insurance cover you

[/quote]

Most people I know have a SHIP waiver. Most internationals, however, are under the SHIP due to the requirement that the insurance provider be a U.S. licensed company. If you're a full-time dependent student under your parent's plan, then you most likely meet the 6 criteria. It's nice to save that $1700.</p>

<p>I decided to take out SHIP because I didn't have insurance before and it was required. Luckily a scholarship will cover the extra expense.</p>