Could I actually get a way with NEVER taking a math course at Berkeley?

<p>So I checked the seven breadth requirements and hypothetically.. I do not need to take any math course in order to fufill my prerequisities. I am interested in majoring in Political Science (with an interest in international relations¨), Ethnic Studies, Peace and Conflict studies or possibly Anthropology... am I required to take any math or economics courses for these majors...</p>

<p>I don't know the requirements, but you might want to take statistics.</p>

<p>I think that's a bad idea...cause I love math lol so you should take Pre calculus and Calculus 1 and 2 : ] </p>

<p>How could you not like math?! : /</p>

<p>You shouldn't need to take math if that's what you're planning to major in. As long as you get the basic quantitative requirement out of the way, then you're not required for math in any of the majors. Like MD Mom says, it may be useful to take stats if it deems fit for your major.</p>

<p>Political Science 3 is a required part of Political Science. PS 3 is like a stats course, but it's even easier than Stats 2.</p>

<p>Most majors require you to be well rounded, but you can avoid taking real maths. </p>

<p>I haven't taken a real math course since high school :)</p>

<p>To OP, I'm pretty sure there is quantitative reasoning requirement that makes you take some sort of math class. That is unless you got a 3+ on some AP test.</p>

<p>Assuming you didn't come in fulfilling the QR requirement (which you might have with a 600 on the SAT I Math or 550 on the SAT II Math) you can still get away with not having to take a math, statistics or computer science course by taking a QR exam given by the math department. According to the math website, if you can get a 26 out of 60 on a test covering precalculus stuff (i.e. high school math concepts), then you satisfy the requirements.</p>

<p>So basically, yeah you probably never have to take a math course at Berkeley if its not required for your major or something else.</p>

<p>Anthro does not require math! But, depending on which focus under anthro, you may want to take some biology courses...which may require chem courses...which may require math courses</p>

<p>I'm glad to hear the UCs still allow math avoidance for certain majors. I managed to avoid that potential stumbling block as an English major at UCLA. We didn't have calculators back then, so it would have been more of a stretch for me then than it is now.</p>

<p>LOL</p>

<p>Funny how you don't have to take math at Berkeley, but you have a physical science, biological science, arts/lit, historical, etc, etc requirement which you cannot use APs to fulifill.</p>

<p>Come on sakky, where are you on this one when I need you...</p>

<p>I love math. However I would like to know how to get away with never taking a course that the OP is interested in.</p>

<p>If you want to go to grad school, most require that you have "extensive knowledge" (I think that's a quote from Columbia) of macro and microeconomics. Other grad schools might require stats or some form of math. And Econ itself, I'm told, is better understood with calculus.</p>

<p>ETA: I'm doing Pol Sci with the IR subfield, and for pol sci/international relations/international affairs/government/etc. schools, they "recommend" aka basically require intensive knowledge of economics.</p>

<p>I would never want to skip math, but I'm betting you can. I would still take Math 1A,1B, 53, and 54 though.</p>

<p>My parent who went to Berkeley (complete opposite of me) couldn't get an A in Calculus, so they couldn't get into Haas. So, if you don't think you can get an A or B in it, you might want to avoid it. Otherwise I would definitely take as much math as possible within your major (can't hurt unless you don't get good grades).</p>

<p>This is a huge relief :)</p>