CR vocabulary question.

<p>Lewis Latimer's inexpensive method of producing carbon filaments ------ the nascent electric industry by making electric lamps commercially ------.</p>

<p>A. cheapened...affordable
B. transformed...viable
C. revolutionized...prohibitive
D. provoked...improbable
E. stimulated...inaccessible</p>

<p>I guess I don't understand the syntax of the sentence because I chose (A) with great confidence.</p>

<p>You can't really "cheapen" an industry. An industry won't be made cheaper by a new invention</p>

<p>B 10 char...</p>

<p>I'm still not getting this :/</p>

<p>The answer is B. Basically, the key phrase of the sentence is "the nascent electric industry", meaning that the industry was new at the point in time. Keeping that in mind, "transformed" and "viable" are fits for the respective blanks. The new inexpensive method of producing carbon filaments transformed, or changed, the [new] industry electric industry by making electric lamps commercially viable. That is, producing them does not cost the industry much.</p>

<p>I wasted about 2 minutes of my section time on this question as well. My mind was telling me A, but my gut was telling me B. I have some sort of intuition, we all do. I went for B.</p>

<p>But yeah, if you want a logical explanation, refer to the post above me.</p>