Crew (Rowing) Helps chances?

<p>I know this sounds a little farfetched, but I've seen people get into Princeton and Stanford undergrad just because they were good at crew. Do you think business schools would consider it? Sorry about the double post.</p>

<p>Sure. If you have a competitive GPA and GMAT score, Crew cannot hurt. But you won't see Wharton or Kellogg admit a student with a 3.1 GPA, 630 on the GMAT and average work experience simply because she/he was a rower.</p>

<p>Look at it this way, blankityblanky. Stanford and Princeton run big-time crew programs. Princeton crew members won Olympic medals in the last few Olympics, including in 2004 Athens. That's why you see people getting into Princeton and Stanford undergrad just because they are good at crew - after all, both schools run extremely active crew recruiting programs. They're being recruited to row on the team.</p>

<p>Business-school, and in fact graduate school in general, is a totally different story. You're not going to graduate school to join the crew team. So there is no reason for the school to recruit you for your crew skills specifically. Sure, the business-school would consider your crew experience as something that makes you more well-rounded, or a better leader, or so forth. But clearly the emphasis on your specific crew skills is going to be lower. The bottom line is that as an incoming undergrad crew star, you might be recruited to be on the crew team. You are probably not being brought into graduate school in order to be on the crew team. Clearly it must follow that crew skills matters less for graduate-school admissions.</p>

<p>i hope this is the case. crew recruiting seems ridiculous at the graduate-school admission level.</p>

<p>I am not aware at the least of any formal crew-recruiting at the graduate school level. Not in the least. Did you mean to say 'undergraduate'?</p>