Crucial tips about college

<p>Let's collect the wise sayings on the board and post it here:</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/1063622738-post10.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/1063622738-post10.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>You go to college to get the best job possible available to you and doing the hard classes at CCs allow you to maximize your gpa which is the most important thing for getting the best job available. On the other hand, doing the hard class at your university and getting a bad grade while you have the opportunity to do it off the books (grades do not count in gpa calculation) at a CC is a disservice to your career. </p>

<p>I have a gpa that allows me to make all the gpa cut-offs of elite companies in part because I pick my classes very carefully to choose the easiest graded elective within my major and also doing the prereqs at CC. Not to mention you only need to do the bare minimum at a community college because all I need is a C- at CC to get a "Pass" transferred, and anyone would know it doesn't take any effort to get a C-. Does this hurt me at all? Let's see... Companies don't usually see transcript until background check. So you can keep all your hard classes and crappy gpa, dead end job while I keep my high gpa and get an elite job. It is not factored into their decision process because they won't know what classes you "weaseled out at a community college". If I had taken all the prereqs at Michigan instead of at a CC, I would probably have like a shytty 3.5.</p>

<p>Hi tentai~
You may have been successful in wading through the maze/system~
My sense is that the elite companies may in fact see the dichotomy, and you will always know that you were given a chance to challenge yourself, and elected not to do so.
Your life, your call.</p>

<p>APOL, that isn't tentai, it was a quote from bearcats. Who supposedly goes to UMich (although I still feel as though he might be a troll, but I fear he's not).</p>

<p>A 3.5 in college at UMich is ****ty? </p>

<p>Christ so many people on this website probably suffer from high blood pressure.</p>

<p>Increasingly, I have found that the saying "It's not what you know, it's who you know" matters more than I expected. If you do not form good relationships with your fellow students, your professors, and the industry people that come to visit, you will have a much harder time with career starting.</p>

<p>And yes, social skills matter too. Sure, you had a 4.0 in undergrad work. But who cares about that if you can't give a presentation on your work to a panel of VPs and senior designers?</p>

<p>Hawkwings brings up a great point. Particularly if you're in business, it's all about relationships and you go to college not only to study, but also to learn how do develop meaningful relationships.</p>

<p>Anyone can get great grades if they put enough time into a class. That's just the way teachers grade. What matters more, though, is who you know and how you present yourself in your interviews.</p>

<p>In the end, the more you challenge yourself, the better prepared you will be for the real world, and once you're a year or two into your career, companies won't even look at your college GPA.</p>

<p>^That's not how the finance industry works according to bearcats (the guy quoted in the OP)...</p>

<p>This is how life works, especially at the more competitive business schools. </p>

<p>Attending a top 10 business school, I generally find this to be true, especially of the better students. It is about networking and procuring job offers, a difficult task, especially in the Finance industry during this recession. Most of those opportunities have vanished, even the top students who have tons of industry experience (a roommate), have had difficulty in the job search process. Class is mostly a distraction,since outside of some Finance and Accounting classes, they don't really teach anything that anyone would REALLY be that interested in. </p>

<p>Most kids love to take community classes or sometimes even "online ones" to avoid taking them at the University. Truth be told, the University ones aren't exactly that hard either. And even if they take pre-reqs in residence, business students are usually the ones searching for the ones that award easy A's. Some, it is for financial reasons, but for most it is because these classes will count for credit and not grades, and that those classes are generally extremely easy. And grades come first. Learning falls way behind (but really, I don't see that I'm learning anything substantive in most classes). </p>

<p>I'd love to see one of two solutions that would alleviate the problem. </p>

<ol>
<li><p>Require a stringent core curriculum for students that must be completed at the University. This way, you would ensure the students are actually learning and gaining useful knowledge in their classes, and prevent the CC or online cop out. </p></li>
<li><p>Simply drop the basics requirements. If you don't want to learn it, or only take the class for the grade or because you have to, you shouldn't be required to. Then you could graduate in three or even two years, without having to worry about English Literature or Chemistry for Non-Applicants if you really don't feel that class has any value to you. </p></li>
</ol>

<p>I'm leaning more towards option two, since option #1 would most likely just produce a glutton of cutthroat students in classes they have no interest in, which in my opinion, would lead to some pretty depressing lecture halls. </p>

<p>Business school, well mine at least, has been extremely helpful to me, in the terms that it required students to frequently tackle group projects. I've learned more from working together with students of various abilities and talents than from the work itself. It is hard to work as a team! And my business school does a great job of teaching us and forcing us to do this. </p>

<p>GPA matters for getting your foot in the door. But networking, is probably more important. It is about who you know, not what you know. And for all intents and purposes, a high GPA in these times does not mean you have a high reservoir of knowledge, but that you know how to play the GPA game of class-picking. </p>

<p>Most students know this. But employers are incredibly naive and not up to speed on this trend. They should take notice and take the students GPA with a grain of salt.</p>

<p>Would you say that if your GPA is enough to get your foot in the door, having a relevant double major useful? Or is it really a waste of time and you should just get through school as quickly as possible while keeping above that 3.5 GPA?</p>

<p>Furthermore, do they ask for a major GPA usually, or just an overall GPA? If you double majored (in something hard like Engineering, and something easy like the easiest thing you can come up with), would you report a GPA that's a combo of both (this is only if you have to report a major GPA instead of an overall one).</p>

<p>By the way, I'm asking EVERYONE who would have knowledge on this their opinion, not just the guy above me.</p>

<p>let's get more tips coming!</p>

<p>bump for more tips</p>

<p>bump bump bump</p>

<p>GPA is only good as a first-order brute force method into the industry. Outside of that, it's all about who you know. Outside of that, it's proving to the people you know (and the people THEY know) that what you know is worth employing.</p>

<p>bump bump</p>

<p>I think this thread is a great idea. There have been several instances in which I would have liked to recall a certain insightful post by another member. So if you have one that you like, simply quote the post in this thread.</p>

<p>b u m p</p>

<p>In a lot of businesses gpa considered but it wasn't a make or break thing. The cutoff at some gov jobs is 3.0. It matters, but if you're qualified gpa isn't going to be the most important thing. Not all companies even ask for it.</p>

<p>Now let's get some tips unrelated to business majors.</p>

<p>Don't forget to have fun.</p>

<p>One thing I am picking up on here is the constant relation between GPA and landing a great job. Sure it helps, but just being brainy doesn't guarantee you anything.</p>