<p>Hey guys, have any of you done a 199 (specifically in Computer Science)? I’ve done research all quarter (for elective credit) and I know that I will be submitting a final paper (which the HSSEAS counselor told me is for accreditation purposes and usually ~10 pages in length) to my advisor, who will then give my paper and my grade to the HSSEAS office. Can anyone who’s done this before confirm that I’ve got the right idea? When do I submit the paper, during finals week? The SEASOASA website was a bit vague on these details, and my research situation is pretty low-key so I’m working on figuring out the details of how to get my grade. Thank you!</p>
<p>You definitely won’t go wrong doing what you said.</p>
<p>Generally, it really depends on your professor, so you’d be best suited to ask him what he expects. What’ll happen is that he will (or will not) read your paper, and put a grade on it. Generally speaking, professors know how much work you’ve done this quarter, and so they consider the paper as something that’s there just for official purposes. When I did CS 199, I wrote 3 single-spaced pages, but attached code and test results.</p>
<p>I did a graduate level independent research course work (a 299 course, but not in CS), and I only met the advisor three times all quarter long, but turned in a 65-page report at the end, and received a pretty good grade.</p>
<p>That’s pretty much exactly what you do. You can submit your paper anytime before the end of finals week (though I’ve sometimes submitted the quarter later without any penalty or anything). How much you have to write really depends on the professor, but it shouldn’t be a big deal and unless you slacked alot or something you’ll get an A</p>
<p>Awesome, thanks guys. My real “advisor” (the person I work directly with) is actually in plant biology, so his boss is the CS professor whose name is on my research contract. They have been happy with my work and see the paper as mostly a bureaucratic exercise, so I think I’ll be alright. Thanks!</p>