=D be brutally honest

<p>hi there. umm please chance me and don't hold back if you think i dont have a chance. </p>

<p>so heres the deal.</p>

<p>i might end up taking a one and a half gap year from college to attend a religious program. i was already accepted in utsa, and i planned on applying as a freshman for the accelerated dental program after leaving the religious program after a month. but... </p>

<p>now im having second thoughts- and im thinking about applying to rice. i know its a loooonnnggggg shot but i wanted to know what you guys thought b/c you have alot of experience</p>

<p>i got a 1990 on my sat [i know. fail] but if i do plan on applying, i will study for the acts like no other.</p>

<p>high school gpa: 9th: 3.6 10th: 3.8 11th semester 1: 3.3 =O semester 2: 3.5 12th sem 1: 3.83 12th sem. 2 4.0 </p>

<p>lots of extra currics but nothing out of the blue- part of theater for 4 years, part of tutoring club, environmental club, cross country, copy editor for school newspaper, habitat for humanity, and i can't remember but i have everything written down somewhere. </p>

<p>so if i couple an internship with this religious program- and somehow create a fabulous, well written essay... what are my chances? one in a million?</p>

<p>I think you have a decent chance if it's a really interesting internship. Your SAT scores aren't that bad - definitely not a "fail!" I think that if you do some studying or try the ACT you will have a decent shot at Rice (although I think living in TX might hurt you slightly...I'm assuming you live there because of UT...I think they get more applicants from there).</p>

<p>Haha it's definitely not impossible. It'll be considerably difficult, though. Aim for a 31+ on the ACT. Your current SAT score converts to a 30 on the ACT, so it really won't be that hard. If you have really good EC's, that'll help alot. If you think you can really wow them on the essays, that will probably be the push that sends you over the top and gets you the acceptance letter.
But really, it won't be easy. What's your cumulative GPA for all of high school? Also, reesezpiecez103 is right, being from TX will probably be a disadvantage.</p>

<p>Anyways, you really do have a decent shot, just do well on the ACT. Good luck!</p>

<p>Thank you for your posts!!!! I plan on studying ALOT for the act, so hopefully it'll turn out ok. Cumulative gap is pretty pathetic due to eleventh grade...3.67 :( </p>

<p>It is super cool, and I guess it's pretty different. I wouldn't mind pursuing a majoring in religion... So I guess that could help my application as well.</p>

<p>Anyways, thanks again :D your posts made me feel a bit more confident!</p>