D+ in Calc AB first semester, what to do now?

<p>High school senior first semester
Bombed my final and got a D+ in Calculus AB.</p>

<p>I am recommended to notify all my schools right?
What is the correct thing to do now?</p>

<p>My intended majors are International Relations and Japanese.
How big an impact will it have on me?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>Walk into your guidance counselor's office first thing on Monday morning, and find out what your options are.</p>

<p>So I asked my counselor, she told me to inform all the admission offices and I did.</p>

<p>I want to know how big of an impact is a D+ in Calc AB going to have on me.
My intended majors are International Relations and Japanese.</p>

<p>bump bump
thanks in advance!</p>

<p>Probably not at all.</p>

<p>Do not exhaust yourself with worry about this one! You will get in, or not get in. And then you can consider your options. Right now you need to look ahead to the rest of this semester, and keep yourself on track so that you graduate on schedule. Don't forget to enjoy this last semester of HS!</p>

<p>Same thing happened to my son, never occurred to him that there was anything to do.
If there are consequences you will know in time.
No one grade defines a student, hard to imagine that admissions people take down an applicant for one grade.</p>

<p>Your grades will make it to all the schools anyway. Don't worry about it and study harder.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I want to know how big of an impact is a D+ in Calc AB going to have on me.
My intended majors are International Relations and Japanese.

[/quote]
Nobody here can possibly know, least of which because you didn't list the schools you applied to. It isn't as if there is only one possible response, certain to be taken by every college in America. </p>

<p>And even if you did list the colleges, since the people responding don't work in admissions they still won't know. Maybe someone was in a similar situation at one of the schools, but even then its unlikely you have the exact same scores, transcript, and grades they do.</p>

<p>So while tolerance of ambiguity is hard, its what you need to do. You've done the right thing in notifying the colleges. Some will say it doesn't matter. Some will want you to make up the grade in some way. There's a chance it will change the admission decision at some schools depending on their selectivity. But until you hear back from them, nothing else to be done but wait.</p>

<p>thank you all so much for the responses!
my counselor said it will be fine as long as I do well this semester but im not so sure about it..
its too late anyways, all I can do is wait now.
again I really appreciate your time!</p>

<p>
[quote]
my counselor said it will be fine as long as I do well this semester...

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I hope I'm missing part of the story. I hope that you dropped the Calc class and are not continuing on. (Such a plan would be tantamount to another bad grade.) Or, are you on a block schedule? If so, can you repeat the course at your HS?</p>

<p>If I were you, I'd forgo party spring senior year and try to enroll in an Intro Calc class at your local juco. Demonstrate to colleges that you can do college-level work, successfully.</p>

<p>Then I would write a mea culpa to the colleges to which you applied and explain what happened, what you learned, how you are rectifying the situation (repeating the course), and how it won't happen again. </p>

<p>A D in any senior course is a huge red flag. (AB in particular, is not a difficult course, which adcoms know.) Be proactive.</p>