dance audtion for Lion King

<p>I am just wondering if anyone here has done or knows folks who have done the dance audition for Lion King. This is a show that DD REALLY wants to do as a dancer, but knows that this year isn't the right time- she is starting college and does want to do this. But we are going to be in NYC when there is a dance audition so she wondered about going to see what it was like, level of dancers, how many, ...
The catch is, it is the same day that we leave and if there are 100s of dancers it wouldn't be worth it because she would miss the flight home. But if there are 50, she could reasonably get in and through the dance part and still make the flight home.
Anyone have any idea about typical numbers or time?</p>

<p>Since the Lion King audition is an Equity chorus call and your D is non-Equity, she would have to show up a couple of hours before the sign-up list for non-Equity performers goes up. People are usually allowed to start signing up at 8:00A.M. Your D needs to get there very early in order to be one of the 1st hopefuls to put her name on the list. She would then have to stay all day in the hope that there would be time at the end of the day to see any of the non-Equity performers. Oftentimes, no non-Equity performers get to dance. In the current economy most auditions are quite packed. Audition monitors often tell the non-Equity performers at 8:00A.M. that there will be no non-Equity performers seen because of time constraints and that they should go home. My guess is that it will be very difficult for your D to get seen at the Lion King audition. If she does get to dance, it will be late in the afternoon, so, plan accordingly.</p>

<p>agree with dancersmom... if it is a AEA chorus call and she is non-AEA the chances are pretty slim that she would be able to be seen early in the day if at all... even in the summer when things are a bit slower in the city there is generally more than 50 - 75 people at a chorus call.</p>

<p>If my memory serves me -- if they decide to "type out" I believe they type the non-union at the end of the union typing (I could be wrong about this, since it has been awhile since I was non-union, or since I have been to a chorus call). If this is still the case your D might be able to be typed in or out in the morning.... however, she would still be seen at the end of the union chorus call (assuming she is non-union).</p>

<p>Even if she is union, the sign-up for chorus calls goes up at the AEA building the week before the chorus call, so if your D was only able to arrive on the day of the call she would be at the bottom of the AEA sign-up list.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.actorsequity.org/docs/auditions/Chorus_Auditions_NY-LA.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.actorsequity.org/docs/auditions/Chorus_Auditions_NY-LA.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>Do it. Let her see what a real NYC audition is like. Better to know now than later!!! Also, do it to compare herself with the other dancers - so she can see how she stands, or what she needs to improve on, or even if her audition outfit is great. So much better to have a "practice" run now rather than to come back and do it for real later, not having a clue what it's really like, in the NYC world. I took my girl to a union - wait all day to be seen - audition last spring, and to me it was a really great test to see how much she cared and it was a super experience. She learned so much, even just sitting on the floor in the waiting area talking to the pros that live and work there, who by the way were very kind and encouraging to her. Do it. It's not just about getting a part. I think it's a fabulous pre-college experience. She can have that memory in her head as she starts her college work. Awesome.</p>

<p>Also, since this is one of those auditions they do every so often, for a continuing show, perhaps there are not hundreds of folks wrapped around the city block for it, although that is a good experience, too!!! :)</p>

<p>I don't know where the audition is. But if it's at the AEA building, know that the non-equity people sit out in the hallway on a wooden bench and they are not allowed to use the bathroom in the AEA area. Bring something to soften the bench. Also make sure you have water, snacks and something to do with you. And someone to sit with. The closest bathroom is around the corner at the McDonalds. One of you will want to stay while the other "goes". The sign up is on the bulletin board near the door monitor. The list for non-equity will say "Future Equity". If your daughter has some equity points, she can sign up on the Future Equity list, but then she is allowed to go in and sit in the AEA area - but only her...you cannot go in with her. If she has points... have her go in. It's much more comfortable inside. As the other posters have indicated, she may wait all day and not be seen at all. If they're going fast with the equity people though, they may send someone out and get the headshots/resumes of all the non-equity people waiting. They'll come back out a little while later and call names. Those are the people that should continue waiting because if there is time, they will try to see you at the end of the day. Everyone else gets to leave. It is an experience. So if you can do it... even for a short while, do it. It's worth the experience. It's a bit different if it's not at the AEA building...</p>

<p>Thanks- she has done some equity calls as a non-equity but they were in Chicago so the numbers were different. She also did one in NYC but it was only open to AA dancers and there were maybe 30 people who they taught all in one group. She also did a massive open dance call for High School Musical with 190 plus people. I can't remember if they taught the dance to everyone first then broke them into groups, or if they taught groups of 50ish in one room while watching in another (I am thinking the later). I was was kind of hoping to get a sense of numbers to figure out if there would be multiple groups that they taught the dance too, or maybe just one or two. Right now I am not sure she would would even stay to be seen, it is really just to see what this specific call and dance level looks like.
Since we will be there for several days before, maybe we will stop into the equity office and see what the sign up looks like. We can always decide day of, but it sounds like it might not be the best way to spend her last day in NYC.</p>

<p>Just a littel more info about the call - it's at the Pearl studios not the equity office, and it is only a women's call. The men are the next day. Which leaves me wondering either 2 things -the mens and womens dances are different, or they are expecting too many people to do it all at one time.</p>

<p>I think that it would be a <em>wonderful</em> experience for her, even if she went into it knowing there's no way she'd actually get the part (on account of the equity so forth), because she would learn so very much. </p>

<p>My daughter has asked directors here if she could audition even when she actually knew she'd have to turn down a part because of schedule conflicts, just for the experience of auditioning. (small town, they all know her, they let her - I wouldn't recommend doing that on a professional level!!)</p>

<p>If you could figure out a way that the logistics wouldn't be too big of a drag and she sees it as a big adventure and learning experience I think it would be, on it's own merits, worth the effort. If she happened to beat the odds and land a part then WOW but just having the learning experience would be so valuable!</p>

<p>My daughter went to the last equity dance call in Febraury. I just asked her about it to get some details. She said at that call there were only about 30 equity people (she is equity) and many more non-equity people. The equity girls (the call was only girls that day) were taken first. They took them in groups of 10 or 15 (D couldn't remember, but she was in the second group so knows there was more than one group). They learned a combination which she said was African/modern, lots of floor work and lots of sustained movements. She thought it was fairly difficult compared to some other dance calls she has attended, but not very difficult for a well trained dancer. She said they only kept tall-ish AA girls that day (my D is tiny and Asian,lol). It was also held at Pearl studios. She said they did see non-equity girls, but since she wasn't asked to stay after her group went, she isn't sure if all the non-equity girls were able to be seen, or only some of them. She did say the non-equity girls were called in much bigger groups, like maybe 30 at a time instead of the 10 or 15 in the equity groups. I hope that helps!</p>

<p>Thanks nydancemom. I will pass this on to D and she can decide what she wants to do.</p>