What are my chances for Dartmouth, Johns Hopkins, Carnegie Mellon, University of Washington, University of Pittsburgh
Gpa: 3.8
SATs 2260
ACTs: 32
(My school doesn’t offer AP classes)
Honors classes:
9th grade: Honors French 2
10th grade: honors French 3, Honors Biology, Honors Algebra 1, Honors English
11th grade: Honors chemistry, Honors French 4
(Upcoming year)
12th Grade: honors trig, Honors Anatomy and Physiology, Honors French 5
Extracirriculars: first three years I came home everyday after school to help my mom (who had cancer) with my 7 siblings. My guidance counselor said that colleges love seeing that. Is that true. I also had a job all of 11th grade
Volunteer work: I volunteered 200+ hours at my local hospital.
Summer: I was selected for a program for future doctors.
Special circumstances: I missed out on all of sophomore year because I had multiple surgeries on my feet. On my own maintained a B+ average.
Also what are my chances of getting into Stanford? I know I probably won’t get into Stanford, but I’m just curious to see. Any advice or information is greatly appriciated. Thanks!
No chance at Stanford because of ec’s. Helping your mom go through cancer (while noble and the right thing to do) won’t make up for the lack of ec’s. That is an area of concern for all your schools actually.
I don’t agree with the above poster. If you were taking care of your seven siblings while your mom battled cancer, that would be a lot more meaningful than being involved in a bunch of clubs. I think you’ll get me into at least half of the schools on your list but for the top schools a lot will depend on your essays and recs. Good luck!
While ECs are important, if your responsibilities were truly time-consuming then you should have a alright chance (though it’s always a crapshoot for places like stanford) Just be sure to thoroughly explain your situation in a way that portrays your growth from it as opposed to being a sob story.
What major are you applying for?
It’s depends on what school I go/get accepted to. I either want to apply for neuroanatomy or physiology
Is your GPA unweighted? If so:
Dartmouth- Reach
Carnegie Mellon- High Match
Johns Hopkins- High Match/Low Reach
University of Washington- Low Match
University of Pittsburgh- Safety
@ItWorks Based on OP’s major, he/she will probably be applying to Dietrich College for CMU. OP’s GPA (assuming it is unweighted) is exactly average for Dietrich, and his/her test scores are in the middle 50%.
@tyler358 Is your GPA unweighted or weighted?
What I find missing from the list of stats at the CMU page is the SAT Subject Test Scores, which are a critical component of the application if one does not submit ACT scores. This list is dynamic, though. Thanks.
To OP: I must say, subsequent to a 2013 tour of Stanford with my oldest, my impression of Stanford as Stand-off-ish and conscious of its HYP-of-the-West status was revised. I believe Stanford seeks to create a broader image of itself, and of the student body, than many believe.
My point: submit. The real life work you were engaged in was critical and compassionate. You have developed characteristics and traits, and have a vantage point on courage, vulnerability and interdependence like few others. Success to you.