Dateline NBC (7/25/2010)

<p>Did anybody watch Dateline NBC tonight? </p>

<p>Here's the transcript from the show: <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38382773/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38382773/&lt;/a>
To summarize, Ann Curry went to rural Ohio and saw some examples of poverty. Here are my thoughts:</p>

<p>-What needs to happen is not only job creation, but a change in the way these people think.
If you are having trouble putting food on the table, why can you afford cigarettes? We need to use these people as examples to the next generation of what addictions can do to you. There was a high school student who was getting straight A's but dropped out of school because she got pregnant but then had THREE other children in three years. In this case, more needs to be done as far as emphasizing safe sex in high school and the use of condoms at the very least if not abstinence. There's a lot of criticism of the show because people are saying stuff like "why doesn't he sell his gold necklace?", "if he's poor, why are they overweight?", "simple, quit smoking <it's not="" that="" easy="">", but I don't think criticism helps here, helping these people change their lifestyles will do it.</it's></p>

<p>-How do we get people their jobs back? A lot of them were probably in the auto industry and got laid off. Tons of our jobs are being outsourced every year. And my brother just came back from West Virginia last week where tons of people work in coal mines. I know that I'm against the use of coal but if we stop using coal, these people will be put out of work as well. I just wish people would put politics aside and just give these people a job instead of bailing them out with money.</p>

<p>Overall, I'm very disturbed that this is happening in my country, one of the most powerful and wealthiest in the world. What to do about it is undetermined. I think it's gonna take work on both ours and the people in poverty to change this. I know we don't live like the people in Kenya and at the least the people on this show have a trailer or car to live in, but these are our people and we should help change their habits or help them out by giving them a job.</p>

<p>Any thoughts on what I just said or about the show?</p>

<p>I saw this show. I was most disturbed by the 20-year-old with the three kids. They didn't address the dad or dads except to say she went to jail for assaulting one of them. To me, one of the fundamental problems of our society is unprotected sex. Many of the ills of society would be mitigated if women would take a stand and say: No condom, no sex. Or even better, women should say: Are you and I agreed that if I get pregnant from this act that you will pay to support this child for 18 years? I know. It would break the mood. But trust me, the mood needs to be broken. Everyone is entitled to one mistake, but three kids in three years and no wedding ring? She's condemning herself and her children to at least five years of poverty until they all get into school. OK. Sorry for the rant. I found the program as disturbing as you did.</p>

<p>If you are having trouble putting food on the table, why can you afford cigarettes?</p>

<p>you have never been truly hungry. Cigarettes kill your appetite and are cheaper than eating- non nutritious food isn't as satisfying and is more expensive.</p>

<p>I agree that I would be dismayed by people having kids who cannot emotionally/physically/financially take care of them.
However it is 50/50 responsibility- I will not hear of women being blamed for having sex/getting pg. It takes two people.
Boys should be raised to either keep it in their pants or to put a rubber on it.</p>

<p>The effect would be the same if men would take stand and not create children they cannot afford. But, of course, the burden is put on women.</p>

<p>The fundamental problem is poverty and how women are treated. There is an expression is sociology, because it crosses cultures, that when a woman's standard of living and status reaches a certain level in her society she "stops having babies and starts raising children." </p>

<p>I live in Texas and if we want the teen pregnancy rate to sky rocket, I recommend our abstinence only sex ed. If we want the teen pregnancy rate to go down, there are models of how to do that world wide but it involves getting real about sexuality, not something our country seems ready to do. We could also cut down on the number of teen mothers who go onto have a second child in their teens by making sure that teen mothers can stay in school and graduate but too many people fear that "encourages" teen pregnancy.</p>

<p>Basically, the "common sense" in this country on teen pregnancy just about guarantees that the problem will continue at its current levels. </p>

<p>Some people smoke because nicotine acts as an antidepressant. It also curbs hunger. When you cannot afford, or have no access, to mental health services it's not a surprise that people would self-medicate. </p>

<p>pierre0913, I absolutely agree that just being critics does help. However, pretending that each individual is the the problem is far, far cheaper and easier than dealing with changing group behavior. We're a country that loves to place blame and loathes data-based action. It's changing, ever so slowly and I hope the pace of change picks up.</p>