Daughter's Decision

<p>My daughter is having difficulty deciding between WPI or Holy Cross for biology. She wants to major in bio and complete the pre-med sequence. Anyone have any insight into these schools? Why would one be better than the other?</p>

<p>Streesed Out Mother</p>

<p>(Using daughter's screen name)</p>

<p>Either are fine choices for bio and pre-med. I'd suggest that she not worry about that but concentrate on other aspects of the choice such as where she feels most comfortable socially, etc. A huge majority of kids change majors, especially in the sciences, so she should make sure she would still want to BE at the school she chooses if that happens.</p>

<p>I second that suggestion. The percentage of students who change majors is very high, greater than 50 percent. And a large fraction change majors more than once...it's no disgrace, just part of the learning and evolving process.</p>

<p>Agree with both of above. And, fleshing it out a bit more: WPI is over 50% engineering majors whereas Holy Cross is much more across the board. This would affect not only her choices, if she changes from the bio, but also the atmosphere and type of student she will be around.</p>

<p>There is the obvious, Jesuit atmosphere vs. no religious affiliation.</p>

<p>WPI is 77% male and, according to Princeton REview is not very high on social life (don't know if that's true). Point being: she can form her own observations of what the schools "feel" like, and choose based on what may be very different styles of living and learning.</p>

<p>That said, I know great kids who have gone to both. It's just a matter of what she's looking for - beyond the major.</p>